How to shelter my ducks

Mary51100

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Hi,

I've had chickens for years and on a whim my husband got 2 ducks in the spring for our pond. His theory was when the weather got cold they would be used to us and we could herd them into the barn.

We've fed them up near the barn every day with this in mind but after all this time they still don't let us get close. We live in the northeast and our pond is already frozen except for a small area where they are swimming. We've tried herding them into the barn, using a large fishing net to catch them, and putting their feed into the barn so they can walk in at will but they are too wary of us and the barn! The other night, the pond was frozen and we had a freezing sleet and I was so worried about them all night.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can shelter them this winter? I could make a little run- in cover for them down by the pond but that won't protect them from hungry predators and if the pond is frozen, they won't be able to get away. I'm amazed they haven't been eaten yet! They are both males, a Silver Appleyard and a Rouen. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you make a little shelter and fence in a run that is actually connected to the barn where you want them to go. I did that and it keeps them safe. I actaully have 2 pens for them as I had to keep babies apart from adults although now that they are all grown they can be together. This picture is of the back of my barn which is open and you can see pens on either side of the opening. We had a ton of PVC in the barn that wasn't being used and we made a frame to lay netting on the top to protect against hawks on one of the runs. The other run includes Leyland cypress trees so it offers them lots of protection. I bought 200' of garvanized fencing and made 2 runs for them and now that they're all grown I keep both runs open so they can all be together. It's not fancy but it's worked really well for us. You wouldn't have to go that far but I'd suggest putting some kind of enclosure up to keep them close to the barn this winter. You people have LONG winters up there!
IMG_6783.JPG
IMG_6715.JPG

Last edited:
I agree with @thumper650 about using something long to herd them. Even a broom/rake handle would be better than nothing. I can understand their uneasiness because they've never been in the barn before, and ducks like a routine. It may be stressful for them at first, but I imagine they would get used to it. Much safer for them than being outside all winter. Good luck!

Can you make a little shelter and fence in a run that is actually connected to the barn where you want them to go. I did that and it keeps them safe. I actaully have 2 pens for them as I had to keep babies apart from adults although now that they are all grown they can be together. This picture is of the back of my barn which is open and you can see pens on either side of the opening. We had a ton of PVC in the barn that wasn't being used and we made a frame to lay netting on the top to protect against hawks on one of the runs. The other run includes Leyland cypress trees so it offers them lots of protection. I bought 200' of garvanized fencing and made 2 runs for them and now that they're all grown I keep both runs open so they can all be together. It's not fancy but it's worked really well for us. You wouldn't have to go that far but I'd suggest putting some kind of enclosure up to keep them close to the barn this winter. You people have LONG winters up there! View attachment 1592200View attachment 1592202
such pretty runners you have!

such pretty runners you have!
Thank you. This spring I hatched the 3 on the left in the first picture and they are the children of the 4 in the second picture. The 3 young ones are exceptionaly pretty and don't look much like their parents for some crazy reason. I just love those babies and they love me back.

so we use to have a fence, we left one "L" corner still standing so my wife and i could heard them into the corner and catch them a lot easier. our 6 heard pretty easily. they dont mind the coop either but then again they were raised in it for quite a while when we got them

Most ducks can stay warm in the winter with there down, but I am always on the same track as you....keeping them warm. I would just keep trying. Maybe taking there food and shaking it while walking to the barn and following them....

Back
Top Bottom