How to show a chicken

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
How do you show a chicken? does it have to be a specific breed? and what are they judged for?
idunno.gif
hu.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
get your bird in good feather and body condition, submit your entry, clean your bird thoughly, coop in, wait for judging to be complete, see how you did, coop out, go home..
They are judged based on Type for the breed they represent, then color for the variety, as well as physical condition, feather condition, handling ability, this is all evaluated against the other birds of teh breed and variety that are present. best of variety will compete for best of breed, best of breed will compete for best in class, best in class will compete for best of show.

Thanks a ton!!!!

1 more question....HOW DO YOU CLEAN A CHICKEN!!!!! i know they don't like water more then ankle deep and i don't know if your even supposed to place a chicken in water.

You give them a bath! Baby or dog shampoo works great. most "colored" birds (other than a pale color like white of Lavender for example) and regular feathered birds you can just use a tooth brush and spot clean any questionable areas and just wash the butt, belly, and legs well.

If you are interested in showing, I suggest that you purchase an American Standard of Perfection, 2010 edition.

It will tell you what your bird should look like and has information that the judges use to make their selection. It's a quality book and has many gorgeous color plates. If you haven't decided on a breed yet, it is a nice place to do some shopping to look for a breed that interests you.

Back
Top Bottom