How to spot leg problems in Ducklings??

No just one, I just notice that one is MUCH worse than the other... perhaps the video didn't show that or your confused following the one with the leg issue. One of them barely uses one of her legs and scoots along sometimes.
Well what I see is one duckie has his leg slightly out but is able to use it, the other one stays completely laying down doesn't use the leg at all, but is able to move his toes. It's the one laying down that I would be concerned about, the other with the leg to the side looks like he'll be OK.. unless the one laying down is the only one we are talking about?? LOL

if so, still I don't think it's broke.

Well what I see is one duckie has his leg slightly out but is able to use it, the other one stays completely laying down doesn't use the leg at all, but is able to move his toes. It's the one laying down that I would be concerned about, the other with the leg to the side looks like he'll be OK.. unless the one laying down is the only one we are talking about?? LOL

if so, still I don't think it's broke.
Do they need anything other than the poultry nutri Drench? Will that give them both vitamins? I'm also going to do niacin in case but I'm having hubby pick that up ASAP. I've gotta run to work soon and feed store isn't nearby.

I see on the label the Poultry Nutri Drench has thiamine and niacin, but no indication of how much. Won't hurt, but we have no way to know if it is enough. Phooey.

I re read and also see vitamin B, and I'll do niacin. If its a defeciency they will be covered! How much of each do I give them though?

nayeli, please don't apologize.  Duck rearing is full of unknowns and a steep learning curve.

My short first answer about a hobble - I don't know.  I don't know that that is the best kind of support for what may be a slipped tendon.  Clint, it you're around, have you had experience with devices to help this condition?

Certainly, I would use water therapy as much as possible, given we don't want to wear the little one out.  And nutrients that Speceider mentioned.  

Let me see if I can scare up any better info.

@nayeli
, I think we have something here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/201834/update-slipped-tendon-in-4-day-old-bantam-chick-any-hope

I have had it develop once in a couple of young black swans. Did not jump on it immediately, and ended up with my vet in surgery....cleaned the condyles out, realigned the tendon, a couple of stitches to help hold it in place, wrapped and kept off leg. Things were looking good, but neighbors dog killed them when I moved them to a small outside brooder to limit activity.

Perosis starts by gradually having the tendon slip. I would increase the cholinr, folic acid, and B12. I would hesitate adding too much of a multi-vitamen to avoid hypervitaminosis of the fat-soluble vitamins. I would manually churck the tendon and keep putting it in place if it moves.

Clint

I just found this and am following and not adding to it since I haven't a clue, but Clint what does churck the tendon mean? I hope you can help the little one nayeli.

Sorry...seems neither my phone nor my fingers are following my brain....I would manually check the location of the tendon.

Clint

Sorry...seems neither my phone nor my fingers are following my brain....I would manually check the location of the tendon.

Clint
Thanks that helps.
smile.png

Do they need anything other than the poultry nutri Drench? Will that give them both vitamins? I'm also going to do niacin in case but I'm having hubby pick that up ASAP. I've gotta run to work soon and feed store isn't nearby.
Niacin is vitamin B3? about 100 to 150 is correct..

Back
Top Bottom