How to stop a bully?

calichooks

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
Our 4-5 year old barred cochin, Gogo, recently recovered from an expensive crop surgery. After she got better she went back in with the other girls and everything seemed fine, her crop is working again and she’s healthy and eating/drinking/walking properly. I was outside today checking up on everyone when our golden comet Dumpling suddenly rushed on Gogo and pulled a feather out, she did this twice. Dumpling is very young (got as a chick this April) and Gogo has always been a very assertive bird so this worries me, plus i don’t want any more stress than needed on Gogo because she’s a family favorite (hence the $1000 surgery).
is there any way to curb this behavior? Gogo now only really stays on the outskirts and hangs out with her white rock friend that she was raised with. I was wondering if separating Dumpling from the flock for a few days and then reintroducing her would curb it.
Gogo was in surgery and recovery for about two weeks, so i’m wondering if her time away from the flock messed up her spot in the pecking order.
any advice would be appreciated! thank you
8FBD0A97-75D8-4E16-B693-5949485BD576.jpeg
5B9F160C-2C9F-4FBA-8A54-5EC964F8CDC0.jpeg

Pinless peepers might work
I highly suggest no using these. They go in the chickens nostrils and can cause damage if not used correctly! Plus, how do you think the hen breaths with them in? It seems uncomfortable and true, they will stress Dumpling out more then you issue already! Did you reintegrate Dumplin before putting her in? It is likely that Go Go is trying to assert domence. Keep an eye on it and make sure she isn't attacking her. If its only a feather here and there its fine. If Go go starts to cause issues, then separate her away from the other hens for a few days, to bring her rank down. Hope this helps!

My bad I just read the whole post... :oops: Yeah, if there’s no blood drawn they should be fine. You may have to re-integrate the bird if it gets more serious.

My bad I just read the whole post... :oops: Yeah, if there’s no blood drawn they should be fine. You may have to re-integrate the bird if it gets more serious.
I never suggest using painless peepers anyway. I used too, (I didn't really know how they were used,) and then I did research and decided they were cruel! You don't want anything in your nostril! It sounds so uncomfortable don't you agree?

I never suggest using painless peepers anyway. I used too, (I didn't really know how they were used,) and then I did research and decided they were cruel! You don't want anything in your nostril! It sounds so uncomfortable don't you agree?
No, I wouldn't use them, but many do with success...so no need to continue to harp on the matter. Not sure why they didn't work for you, I have read of a few cases where they damaged the nostrils because they weren't applied correctly or where the wrong style/size for the bird.

Back
Top Bottom