How to stop a rooster from flogging you?!?!

In my opinion, a "perfectly good rooster" doesn't flog people. I think the hatchet and stump method is perfectly acceptable. There are people who say carrying them around like a football will help, and it may teach them to not flog you. But it does not mean it will keep them from flogging others (think small children here, who could be injured by such behavior.)
This is where i'm at - if hes using his spurs on you, he's failing one of the prime qualifications for 'good rooster'- my list is pretty much -

1. Does he flog people?
2. Is he reasonable with the ladies?
3. How well does he fit breed standard?

2 and 3 don't matter if the answer to 1 is wrong.

well for all you who would rather kill a fighting rooster, I found out why he is fighting. He feels threatened by my shoes. He does protect his flock by the way. He just has a problem with certain types of shoes. I dont know why. The guy we got him from would go barefoot around all his chickens (gross) but he doesnt attack my boyfriend who wears flip flops. I went out this morning & he just attacked my shoe. He pecked & flogged it. They are big clunker shoes that I got from my grandpa so I wont ruin any of my good shoes. Im not giving up on my rooster yet.
The decision, of course, is ultimately up to you. As previously stated, I hope some unsuspecting person doesn't come on to your property wearing the wrong shoes. Roosters can be especially dangerous to small children, given their size. If a rooster ends up getting a spur into you or someone else there is always the possibility of infection. I would not keep a rooster that pecks or flogs any part of me - whether it's my shoes, legs, or any other part.

I see what you all are saying but there will be no kids around here for one thing. The property is completely fenced in & out in the country so no one is gonna walk by and get attacked. He is good when I hold him. He becomes a big baby then. I will replace him if I have to. We mainly have our chickens to sell eggs & meat. We dont need but one rooster....besides the four cute little bantam roosters. thanks for all the advice. I just get really attached to my animals.

I have one of these rooster that flog me when I picked one of the hens. We were inside the coop run so I was able to catch him. I shook him and tossed them a coupler of time and he never tried to flog me again. Show your rooster that you are at the top of the pecking order. I had another one that was a man hater, he would try to flog me every time I came close to his pen to feed him. I had to wear leather gloves to take him out of the pen because he would peck the crap out of me. I tried and tried to tame him but no dice so he went to the stew pot. Here is a pick of that rooster, too bad I could not keep him.
Thats cause he's a game cock they're very territorial I've been around them my whole life if he's full game cock don't put him around other roosters he will fight to death if he's got farm blood in him he'll be fine

I have one of these rooster that flog me when I picked one of the hens. We were inside the coop run so I was able to catch him. I shook him and tossed them a coupler of time and he never tried to flog me again. Show your rooster that you are at the top of the pecking order. I had another one that was a man hater, he would try to flog me every time I came close to his pen to feed him. I had to wear leather gloves to take him out of the pen because he would peck the crap out of me. I tried and tried to tame him but no dice so he went to the stew pot. Here is a pick of that rooster, too bad I could not keep him.
man you ate a game rooster man do you not know how much money there worth you could sold him you don't eat game roosters like you do big stock

Quote:
man you ate a game rooster man do you not know how much money there worth you could sold him you don't eat game roosters like you do big stock
He was very game and pretty, I got him from a guy her in VA as a stag. I was able to pick him up with no fuzz when he was young but when he got older, he would come at me and flog the wire in the pen.
You are right, I should have sold him instead of eating him. I was lucky to get one offspring from him. This is his son, he is now one year old but have not dubbed him yet.

Last edited:
Quote: He was very game and pretty, I got him from a guy her in VA as a stag. I was able to pick him up with no fuzz when he was young but when he got older, he would come at me and flog the wire in the pen. You are right, I should have sold him instead of eating him. I was lucky to get one offspring from him. This is his son, he is now one year old but have not dubbed him yet. .
Pretty stag ya got off him man an aggressive rooster is good for game roosters but not a man fighter is about worthless I wouldn't ate him tho lol but if his son looks like he might be quick he hatch grey cross? I just say that cause some the red feathering hatch grey best cross of a game ya ask me

Johnboy 89
Not sure what breed the mom was, one guy gave me a little game hen. This is what the mother looked like before she was killed by an eagle. I just have a couple of them, like the way they look.

Johnboy 89 Not sure what breed the mom was, one guy gave me a little game hen. This is what the mother looked like before she was killed by an eagle. I just have a couple of them, like the way they look.
I'd say either a round head or kelso consider the legs look kinda white or light green if the legs are light green then a hatch but white kelso or round head hard to tell by the pic

Back
Top Bottom