How to stop algae from growing in my duck waters?

FunQuail

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
Kansas
Hi!
So my duck waterers keep growing algae and it’s getting clogged so the water can’t go out. What do I do about it? Is there something you can put in the water that won’t hurt the ducks but keeps the algae from growing?
Thank you!
Kelly

Do you have a heavy liner down? A small aerator pump to keep the water moving. I am currently digging my first duck pond out and I know I have to keep the ducks and goose from "mining". All the DIY duck pond building says to line it so they can't stick the heads in the water but they can't actually take mud and muck and get the pond all dirty.

Here’s a picture. It’s not a pond it’s their drinking waterers. Their kiddie pools get changed daily.

Attachments

• 3CE33C52-C5BF-4ADF-8B66-3F4E29340F19.jpeg
    3CE33C52-C5BF-4ADF-8B66-3F4E29340F19.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 15
The only thing I can think of is hanging the feeders. I have tried to keep all their food clean and dry and it has proven to be most annoying. HA! Keeping them away from mud and dirt may help but when there's a will, there's a way.

Can I put organic apple cider vinegar in their waterers to at least keep the algae growth down? Do your ducks do OK with organic apple cider vinegar?

No I have never used additive in the chicken/duck water. I looked up some information but didn't really get a definitive answer. I get to pretty much change their water everyday. I am putting a duck pond in this week so I'm hoping that will give a natural water source from them.

There are a lot of people on here who add a very small amount of apple cider vinegar to their water. I personally just change it daily. Have you considered trying to block the light from the water? Maybe paint the container? Algae needs sunlight for photosynthesis in order to grow.

I don't have ducks but I have water for my chickens.
The only thing I know to control algae is elbow grease..that is washing the bowl out completely with dawn dish soap, rinsing very well and refilling with fresh clean water.

Keeping it out of sunlight helps also. Algae needs sunlight to grow so clear or light colored containers will be a growing field for it. Best to use a non see through container like galvanized steel to slow down the growth.

I have lost the battle and came to a conclusion to just use open stainless steel dog bowls and put fresh water in it several times a day because with this heat they need cool water. I do wash completely and rinse about every other day. Only takes a few extra mins and beats trying to clean those water holding tanks.

Thank you for all your help everyone! I found a brush and cleaned it pretty well and that has helped a lot!:)

Back
Top Bottom