How to stop algae from growing in my duck waters?

I agree with the scrubbing. I also looked into something to help kill the algae, but couldn't trust if it would hurt my ducks and decided I couldn't risk it. I drain their pool (about 50 gallons) every night, rinse it out, do a quick 30 second wipe out with a scrub brush, and rinse it again. I do the same with their water buckets daily. Then I leave everything empty and dry overnight. It helps a lot.

On the weekend I spend a good 60 minutes REALLY scrubbing everything until I'd happily bathe in it. The ducks approve. You know how much they like to poop in perfectly clean pools.

You can put 2 drops of oregano oil per gallon of water. It's a natural antibiotic and mold doesn't grow in the waterers either.
Make sure you don't put more than 2 drops per gallon, it's very strong.
1597463502137.png

I agree with the scrubbing. I also looked into something to help kill the algae, but couldn't trust if it would hurt my ducks and decided I couldn't risk it. I drain their pool (about 50 gallons) every night, rinse it out, do a quick 30 second wipe out with a scrub brush, and rinse it again. I do the same with their water buckets daily. Then I leave everything empty and dry overnight. It helps a lot.

On the weekend I spend a good 60 minutes REALLY scrubbing everything until I'd happily bathe in it. The ducks approve. You know how much they like to poop in perfectly clean pools.
Yes I don't want my ducks to get hurt. I only saw the apple cider vinegar for chickens. I'm going to look for a tougher brush but what I was able to do helped.
Is that a welsh harlequin in your avatar picture?
Thank you!
Kelly

Yes I don't want my ducks to get hurt. I only saw the apple cider vinegar for chickens. I'm going to look for a tougher brush but what I was able to do helped.
Is that a welsh harlequin in your avatar picture?
Thank you!
Kelly
Yes! That's a welsh harlequin! Good ID!

I just use a kitchen dish brush on a handle. Let me know if you find something that works better. I spend a lot of time scrubbing...

Yes! That's a welsh harlequin! Good ID!

I just use a kitchen dish brush on a handle. Let me know if you find something that works better. I spend a lot of time scrubbing...
Thanks! I have a male and a female welsh harlequin, River and Iris. What's her name? I will definitely let you know if I find something better! I used a hummingbird feeder brush lol :gig. It actually worked pretty good because you could bend it but I'd like something longer and a tougher brush.

Back
Top Bottom