How to stop algae from growing in my duck waters?

FunQuail

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
Kansas
Hi!
So my duck waterers keep growing algae and it’s getting clogged so the water can’t go out. What do I do about it? Is there something you can put in the water that won’t hurt the ducks but keeps the algae from growing?
Thank you!
Kelly

I don't have ducks but I have water for my chickens.
The only thing I know to control algae is elbow grease..that is washing the bowl out completely with dawn dish soap, rinsing very well and refilling with fresh clean water.

Keeping it out of sunlight helps also. Algae needs sunlight to grow so clear or light colored containers will be a growing field for it. Best to use a non see through container like galvanized steel to slow down the growth.

I have lost the battle and came to a conclusion to just use open stainless steel dog bowls and put fresh water in it several times a day because with this heat they need cool water. I do wash completely and rinse about every other day. Only takes a few extra mins and beats trying to clean those water holding tanks.

No I have never used additive in the chicken/duck water. I looked up some information but didn't really get a definitive answer. I get to pretty much change their water everyday. I am putting a duck pond in this week so I'm hoping that will give a natural water source from them.

There are a lot of people on here who add a very small amount of apple cider vinegar to their water. I personally just change it daily. Have you considered trying to block the light from the water? Maybe paint the container? Algae needs sunlight for photosynthesis in order to grow.

I agree with the scrubbing. I also looked into something to help kill the algae, but couldn't trust if it would hurt my ducks and decided I couldn't risk it. I drain their pool (about 50 gallons) every night, rinse it out, do a quick 30 second wipe out with a scrub brush, and rinse it again. I do the same with their water buckets daily. Then I leave everything empty and dry overnight. It helps a lot.

On the weekend I spend a good 60 minutes REALLY scrubbing everything until I'd happily bathe in it. The ducks approve. You know how much they like to poop in perfectly clean pools.

Back
Top Bottom