How to stop bleeding - blood pouring from comb

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
Hi. I know I read a post somewhere about products that stop bleeding but after a 45 minute search I have given up and so here I am! Young hens are viciously attacking a sweet roos comb such that Bluekote doesn't even stick because the blood just keeps running. (earlier applications of Bluekote that did stick apparently did not deter the little monsters). In fact, there's enough blood flowing that it is finding it's way into his mouth which cannot be pleasant for him. Drip drip dripping off him onto the ground too. They are literally ripping chunks off and eating them and he is too sweet to hurt them back. I've seen 3 going after him at once, endlessly. These chickens do not live with me - I am just trying to help find a solution. What will stop the bleeding? And should this be combined with something that will deter future pecking? (Bluekote didn't do it so far, some have said use Bitter Apple or Peckstop? What is the latter and where can one get it - internet search reveals no hits...)
All of this is much more complicated by the fact that the chickens are in lockdown due to hawk attacks so they can't really even get away from one another.
Thank you!

First off, that poor roo should have been separated before it got that bad.
sad.png

Try flour or ice to stop the bleeding and see if you have a styptic, which is used to stop bleeding when you cut yourself shaving. Tell your friend to keep the roo separated until he heals and maybe find him some nicer hens.

Good luck!

They have some products at the pet store to stop the bleeding! But get him away from the flock for this is giving them the taste for blood which could cause you more troble later down the road. Keep him away from the flock. I do this with my roaster when i despur them they bleeded and i wait to the bleeding has stopped and clean there feet and put back with flock. If you do not do this they will peck him to death.

Last edited:
Oh Boy Judy! Poor BJ!!
You can go to the petshop and get styptic powder. It should be in the grooming aisle with the shampoos and nail clippers or check the Grooming Salon.
Hit the wrong key:mad:
For now use flour or sugar.

Last edited:
Thank you Terrie, Servant, SC - for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate your take on this.

Would one need to clean the flour off later or does it fall off??
It would probably fall, or wear, off as the wound heals.
You could wash it off, after the wound fully heals, if you deem it necessary.
Corn starch works too, better than flour, IMO.

I second the cornstarch, I've always used it on my pets rather than styptic as I always have it on hand. You don't have to wash it off it'll just flake off over time.

Back
Top Bottom