How to stop chicks from kicking bedding into their water?

The process I use is to put 2 weight plates in the brooder (directly on the floor, no bedding under them) to create a very stable, slightly elevated platform for the food and water. Still get some bedding in the water, but not enough to clog it. I just shake it out a bit each time I refill it and they seem to be doing fine with it.

I have seven chicks in an area a little over 45 sq. ft. with four different waterers and they all get bedding kicked into them multiple times a day. I've tried elevating them which seems to help a little but, boy, they're great at kicking things. It's possible I'm over-thinking this because usually out of the four there's one or two that has minimal bedding but it worries me. The waterers I have, I haven't figured out a way to hang them but if anyone has any ideas on that front, I'd appreciate it.

Also how good are waterers with nipples and are chicks who haven't used them before good at adapting?
This works great also. It’s a dog tray with puppy pad taped. It has a lip, so no more bedding in their water or feed.

250AFFD1-4889-4483-A60B-C18FD08965FA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom