1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to switch eggs with chicks under a broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mary Coleman, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    Okay so yesterday evening I found out that my hen that I hatched out last spring (cross between a golden sex ling and unknown red and black rooster) has been stashing about a dozen eggs in a small box in the corner of a storage shed. I have absolutely no clue how in the world she found that box, anyways it's getting a bit chilly outside and in three weeks the time it will take for the eggs to hatch, it will be far to cold for newborn chicks. So it's only been about 16 hours she has been on the nest so will she take the chicks this early if I switch all of the eggs out for a couple of chicks? If so how can I achieve this?

2. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably not. You can try moving her (VERY CAREFULLY) and put her in a cage or kennel with a heat lamp. Then when the chicks hatch they won't freeze to death. However if it is too cold you can raise the chicks yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by