1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to syringe feed chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lutz123, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I did post under the emergencies thread for some assistance with this tiny girl, but didn't ask specifically how to syringe feed a very young chick? She was given to me at the feed store when I bought 4 chicks & 2 guinea keets. She has no eyes and appears to be pretty weak, though she is responsive. I am not sure if she has ever eaten. I took her with the hope that I may be able to give her a chance. Now I'm not sure what to do! I made a slurry of chick starter, and added a little bit of sugar too. I am pretty sure she took a couple of sips of water when I dipped her nose in the waterer, but seems uninterested in any food. I used a syringe to squirt a little in, but I don't want to get it into her lungs. She's not terribly cooperative. Would I fill her crop? And how exactly, do I know where that is??

Thanks!

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That is really difficult. A tiny feeding tube, and a very mall syringe, are the only things
    I know. Open her beak til you can see down her throat,, then thread the tube
    gently down the opening, til it stops. Probably not much needed to fill her crop
    either. I hate force feeding chickens, let alone a chick. I think it is so stressful
    for them that it kind of counteracts what you are trying to do, but I could be
    wrong. I got some stuff from the vet for force feeding; it is this green powder
    that has nutrients in it, you mix it with water. It isn't expensive, you
    might see if a vet has some. It can be used for pretty much any animal. But
    if your chick has no eyes, are you sure you want to continue with this? Not sure about
    the quality of life there, though I understand where you're coming from...[​IMG]

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i haven't syringe feed one but i've taken a tooth pick with a bit of food on it and dabbed in their beak and used my finger to drop water on their beak

4. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks - I won't go overboard. If she can't gain strength pretty quickly and learn to adapt I suspect she'll die. I won't syringe feed a chicken it's whole life. I just want to give her a chance.

5. NanaBanana6995

NanaBanana6995 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Logansport Indiana
    Did she survive? I'm in the same boat

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    please update. How is the little one? Poor baby. This breaks my heart. I sure hope she is doing alright.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Check the dates on posts [​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If that chick did survive, it's probably dead of old age by now. [​IMG]

9. NanaBanana6995

NanaBanana6995 New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Logansport Indiana
    I found mine dead this morning. I was hoping if this person had a chance I could've known better what to do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by