How to syringe feed chick?

lutz123

Songster
Apr 10, 2011
Loudoun County - Hamilton, VA
I did post under the emergencies thread for some assistance with this tiny girl, but didn't ask specifically how to syringe feed a very young chick? She was given to me at the feed store when I bought 4 chicks & 2 guinea keets. She has no eyes and appears to be pretty weak, though she is responsive. I am not sure if she has ever eaten. I took her with the hope that I may be able to give her a chance. Now I'm not sure what to do! I made a slurry of chick starter, and added a little bit of sugar too. I am pretty sure she took a couple of sips of water when I dipped her nose in the waterer, but seems uninterested in any food. I used a syringe to squirt a little in, but I don't want to get it into her lungs. She's not terribly cooperative. Would I fill her crop? And how exactly, do I know where that is??

Thanks!

That is really difficult. A tiny feeding tube, and a very mall syringe, are the only things
I know. Open her beak til you can see down her throat,, then thread the tube
gently down the opening, til it stops. Probably not much needed to fill her crop
either. I hate force feeding chickens, let alone a chick. I think it is so stressful
for them that it kind of counteracts what you are trying to do, but I could be
wrong. I got some stuff from the vet for force feeding; it is this green powder
that has nutrients in it, you mix it with water. It isn't expensive, you
might see if a vet has some. It can be used for pretty much any animal. But
if your chick has no eyes, are you sure you want to continue with this? Not sure about
the quality of life there, though I understand where you're coming from...
hugs.gif

i haven't syringe feed one but i've taken a tooth pick with a bit of food on it and dabbed in their beak and used my finger to drop water on their beak

Thanks - I won't go overboard. If she can't gain strength pretty quickly and learn to adapt I suspect she'll die. I won't syringe feed a chicken it's whole life. I just want to give her a chance.

Back
Top Bottom