How to t feed a sick chicken and give subcutaneous fluid

Probably a bacterial infection of some kind, though he said that it's almost impossible to tell exactly what.

I had noticed she was listless with runny green stools (the green color was probably due to her not eating enough). The vet did a fecal float on her to check for parasites (none), and giardia (none). He also drew a blood panel which showed she was dehydrated and had a slightly elevated white blood cell count...but it was still on the high end of normal. However, he said that if her WBC count happened to normally be on the low side, then her "normal" WBC level could certainly indicate infection.

The vet started her on a sulfa drug for a week, and she showed some improvement (started eating a lttle bit, ect). But then she relapsed and got listless again, so I took her back The vet said that a lot of the time when you see some improvement and then a relapse it could be that you need to switch to a stronger antibiotic in the same class (in this case oral Flagyl). He also went ahead a dewormed her, just in case.

The vet told me to always have electrolites and baby food available incase I have a chicken 'down'. He said the first thing I should always do if I have a chicken that I think is getting ill is to 'tube' her and feed electrolites and some baby food, isolate her, then observe. He said he couldn't stress enough to get something in her crop asap as chickens don't show pain or distress until they are really in trouble and are probably already dehydrated. I guess it's one of those things that it won't hurt and it might help.

Probably a bacterial infection of some kind, though he said that it's almost impossible to tell exactly what.

I had noticed she was listless with runny green stools (the green color was probably due to her not eating enough). The vet did a fecal float on her to check for parasites (none), and giardia (none). He also drew a blood panel which showed she was dehydrated and had a slightly elevated white blood cell count...but it was still on the high end of normal. However, he said that if her WBC count happened to normally be on the low side, then her "normal" WBC level could certainly indicate infection.

The vet started her on a sulfa drug for a week, and she showed some improvement (started eating a lttle bit, ect). But then she relapsed and got listless again, so I took her back The vet said that a lot of the time when you see some improvement and then a relapse it could be that you need to switch to a stronger antibiotic in the same class (in this case oral Flagyl). He also went ahead a dewormed her, just in case.
I go through lots of Flagyl (metronidazole) and Safeguard (fenbendazole) these days... I hope your gal improves.

Thanks, everybody, for your advice and concern. My hen is doing MUCH better (keeping fingers crossed). After five days of tubefeedings and Flagyl, she's suddenly become active again and has started eating some. It's kind of weird, like a switch flipped in her head and she remembered how to "be a chicken" again. Active, and ****** off when I medicate her! Yeah!

I'm VERY happy, though I think I'm going to keep her inside for another day or so to make sure that she's really eating and drinking enough. I also want her to get a little bit stringer before she goes outside where it's colder.

One thing I did when she was in her sick "zombie chicken" state was to wrap her up in a towel and take her outside for a "visit (through the wire of the coop) with my other hens. She seemed to perk up a bit around them, and I think that the tiny bit of socialization may have helped some.

By far, these are the sorta threads that best enable us to help one another on the 'net, and I sure do appreciate your sharing what you've learned w/ the BYC community ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom