How to t feed a sick chicken and give subcutaneous fluid

What do you feed? Is it "liquidy"? Where do you get the catheters from?
I know this is very old, but I thought I should answer anyway... I feed Kaytee Exact baby bird food and mix it so it's like pancake batter. We bought the catheters online, shop around, I'm sure you'll find a good source.

-Kathy

What do you feed? Is it "liquidy"? Where do you get the catheters from?

I know this is very old, but I thought I should answer anyway... I feed Kaytee Exact baby bird food and mix it so it's like pancake batter. We bought the catheters online, shop around, I'm sure you'll find a good source.

-Kathy

I'll make sure I get that. I wonder if they sell catheters at pharmacies. I will also check with my vet.

Thanks

I'll make sure I get that. I wonder if they sell catheters at pharmacies. I will also check with my vet.

Thanks

I think they sell them at medical suppliy stores and I know KV Vet sells something they call "lamb saver" which is a tube and syringe.
http://www.kvsupply.com/lamb-saver-tube-and-syringe

-Kathy

What is the minimum amount of food to feed a small bird (chicken) to the max amount of food to feed a large bird (pea)? How many ounces?

What is the minimum amount of food to feed a small bird (chicken) to the max amount of food to feed a large bird (pea)? How many ounces?
I do no more than 30ml/kg, which requires doing a little math, lol, but I also go by feel. When I was tubing my six month old peas, they got 120ml (4ounces) per feeding if I thought there was no risk of them vomiting. Some medications, like Baytril, will make them vomit. The baby pigeon I raised got like 0.2ml per feeding for the first couple of days and P-Dawg got 2ml per feeding when he was a a few days old. You want to put in just enough so you can feel a slight bulge in their crop. Then when it clears, you can give more.

-Kathy

FYI, I have two that I'm tubing now, a big rooster and a thin Leghorn hen, the hen gets 120 ml of 30% crumbles with water twice a day and the rooster can eat, so he gets just water, but since he can't stand/walk and he gets just 60 ml several times a day. I'd give him more, but any pressure on his crop makes him vomit. So if you ever have to tube one that can't stand, reduce the amount, but give more often.

-Kathy

Get yourself a tube and just stick it in a healty chicken, once you see how easy it is, try giving that chicken a feeding, but only if the crop is empty, lol.

Did you know that different birds have different shaped crops?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom