How to take a chicken to the vet?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Shes not eating or drinking. Like shell eat if I put it bear her but she wont walk over and do it herself. She isnt drinking she tried the other day but barely got anything. Shes turning 2 in March. (Plymouth). It started with her limping and than she stopped. Shes not egg bound we went through the possibilities. Shes molting now and losing tons of feathers but I think shes losing weight as I can feel the bone on her belly. I think my only option is to take her to the vet and get her checked out. Do I have to being her to an avian (bird) vet or can I take her to a regular vet. Or would bird rescues check her over?

Shes not eating or drinking. Like shell eat if I put it bear her but she wont walk over and do it herself. She isnt drinking she tried the other day but barely got anything. Shes turning 2 in March. (Plymouth). It started with her limping and than she stopped. Shes not egg bound we went through the possibilities. Shes molting now and losing tons of feathers but I think shes losing weight as I can feel the bone on her belly. I think my only option is to take her to the vet and get her checked out. Do I have to being her to an avian (bird) vet or can I take her to a regular vet. Or would bird rescues check her over?
Most regular vets don't see birds. You'll proba ly need to call around to see of there are any vets in your area that do see birds. I think I called half a dozen before someone told me about my current vet. He isnt an avian vet, but he has had chickens long enough to know a thing or two, and he's in direct contact with the university vets.

I used to work for a bird rescue. They are run by volunteers mostly. I don't think they would help, tbh. They pay for vets with donations.

Most regular vets don't see birds. You'll proba ly need to call around to see of there are any vets in your area that do see birds. I think I called half a dozen before someone told me about my current vet. He isnt an avian vet, but he has had chickens long enough to know a thing or two, and he's in direct contact with the university vets.

I used to work for a bird rescue. They are run by volunteers mostly. I don't think they would help, tbh. They pay for vets with donations.
Theres an avian vet I believe almost an hour from me but idk if shell handle an hour car ride. I'll call around and ask but how should I bring it up just ask if they take chickens.

Theres an avian vet I believe almost an hour from me but idk if shell handle an hour car ride. I'll call around and ask but how should I bring it up just ask if they take chickens.
Just FYI, my birds handle car rides well. We put them in a crate with food and water. They have always done fine.

But closer is always better! Good luck with your search!

Oh - mobile livestock/farm vets might be able to see chickens

Just FYI, my birds handle car rides well. We put them in a crate with food and water. They have always done fine.

But closer is always better! Good luck with your search!

Oh - mobile livestock/farm vets might be able to see chickens
Thank you.!!! How do you keep the water from falling over in a car/cage ride

I use a nipple waterer. It drips, but it doesn't make a terrible mess. If it's a short car ride, you don't need to put in food or water.
I have found a mobile farm vet I beilve 27 min away I think but the website gave all farm animals except chickens. So waiting for them to get back to me. And the water thing. She doesnt like nipple waters she barely gets water from it. I'm sure I can put some kind of contraption together

I have found a mobile farm vet I beilve 27 min away I think but the website gave all farm animals except chickens. So waiting for them to get back to me. And the water thing. She doesnt like nipple waters she barely gets water from it. I'm sure I can put some kind of contraption together
An hour isn't *that* long. And if she's still not eating or drinking, it won't matter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom