How to take care of button quail?

I got seven one week old silver Button Quails last June. I ended up with four males and two females. One little male died because he flew out of the tank at about three weeks old. I got them delivered from a woman on Craigslist from South Carolina. You have to make the chick starter dust for them to eat for the first few weeks. They started laying at eight weeks old and have not stopped. They've layed EVERYDAY! I keep them in a super pet cage. On corncob bedding. I have fake plants in and on the cage. I used a heat lamp on them in the winter in my unheated garage. The did okay with temps in the upper forties. They eat the laying mash I feed my chickens, but I also give them bird seed and grit. Mine eat alot for tiny birds. I also give them an occasional meal worm and roly-polies. I recently hatched four eggs out of twelve. One didn't make it. My dominant hen has gone broody in the last few days too. The other hen is missing most of the feathers on the back of her neck. I guess that's typical from what I've read. Mine tend to poop in the corners of the cage... The eggs are good pickled. They have the cutest little crow. The hens usually wear themselves out by laying so many eggs. Oh yeah, I've gotten several eggs that were double the size of their normal eggs. Anyone else had that happen? I think all three of the chicks are female :D! Okay, so kind of random, but it's my experience so far and stuff I've read. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom