How to take care of NEW hatched Chick

Well it sounds like that baby is definitely ready to come out. If the blood vessels weren't receded they would be in the membrane so just be cautious and try not to break the membrane. But if it looks mostly dried up and white in there than it sounds like they have all receded already. I would suggest misting it with the warm water if the membrane looks really dry. If the membrane does start turning brown that's when I would really start worrying about it being way to dry. If you do decide to break away more shell don't break away all of it. Leave a little for the baby to escape from by itself. Maybe start a zip line for it. Because it's important for the chick to hatch on its own as much as it can. If you do hit a blood vessel while breaking away the shell don't panic just put the egg down and try to not touch or help it for a good hour at the least for it to stop bleeding. I'll have to look again what you do for a major bleed because I forget. Just try not to rip, tear or touch the membrane at all. Just break away shell, then you will be safe from bleeding.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! ANOTHER thing if you do break away more shell you can mist or use a wet paper towel and barely dampen don't soak the exposed membrane and if it is clear whitish then it is ready if it is pink and you can see blood vessels then it is not ready.

I've got to run to the grocery store real quick so I won't be able to respond for a little while. I'll try to be quick. I'll be praying for your little baby, hang in there little guy! Good luck! I'll check in right when I get home.

would the blood vessels be thin and in a line, I don't understand what the vessels would look like in the membrane.

OK, I wet the membranes again, when I pulled back a tiny bit of shell just above it's head, I immediately a small bit of bright blood on top of it's back/neck whatever it was that's visable so layed it back down immediately. Does this mean it's not ready? But the membrane is tan and white mixed now.

That means that the chick isn't ready yet and hasn't absorbed all the blood vessels and that also means that it definitely isn't finished absorbing it's yolk sac. So make sure it stopped bleeding because chicks can easily bleed to death, the shell must of been still attached to the membrane. So why your chick hasn't hatched yet is because it has not finished absorbing it's yolk and blood vessels and the chick knows it can't come out yet. My advice do not touch it again unless it is to stop the bleeding or something really urgent. Your chick will hatch on its own when it is ready. You can still every once in a while dampen the exposed membranes if necessary so the little guy doesn't get shrink-wrapped. Baby chicks are pretty resilient more so than we think. I think just let nature be nature for now.

thankyou, I just checked and dampened the exposed membrane, I see that the blood on top has spooled, not gotten bigger, still bright in color though. The temp is at about 99.5-6. I have the lid on the box, corner opened a couple inches. Heat lights on top of both sides of box facing each other. Cup of water in back corner of little box where the chick is. It's been 25 hours now. My birthday is today as well, been in panic mood since yesterday. So, I'll just watch and see. Won't move it, just peek open the lid every hour. Would that be ok?

Happy Birthday!!!! Yeah, that sounds like it should do great. Just keep an eye on it and let's hope it does it's thing and hatches out fine. If you want you can gently take a warm dampened paper towl so it's flexible and wipe some of the blood away super gently. If it's still bright you might want to make sure it's not still bleeding. But the best thing might be to just leave the egg completely alone. It should be out of the egg by tomorrow morning, if it isn't there's a problem and you will probably have to help it out and at that point all the blood vessels and yolk should way have been absorbed. But I have a feeling this little guy will do just fine on its own. Hang in there little peep!

Happy Birthday!!!! Yeah, that sounds like it should do great. Just keep an eye on it and let's hope it does it's thing and hatches out fine. If you want you can gently take a warm dampened paper towl so it's flexible and wipe some of the blood away super gently. If it's still bright you might want to make sure it's not still bleeding. But the best thing might be to just leave the egg completely alone. It should be out of the egg by tomorrow morning, if it isn't there's a problem and you will probably have to help it out and at that point all the blood vessels and yolk should way have been absorbed. But I have a feeling this little guy will do just fine on its own. Hang in there little peep!

Thank you!!!! -:)) so far been leaving chick alone accept using q tip to moisten the outer membrane to keep it moist. Still peeps. I'm nervous. Have some family over, so I go back and forth lol. Will keep you updated. Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom