How to tame chicks

Treats Treats Treats Treats Treats
thumbsup.gif

The way to a chickens heart is through their stomach! I really don't think there is any better way to tame them. At first, they'll be afraid of treats in your hand. Here's what I do and it works every time. Chop up hard-boiled or scrambled eggs into small pieces (tiny for young babies, bigger pieces if they're a couple weeks or older). Put the eggs on a plate in the brooder. They will eventually find the eggs and eat them. The next day, put the egg in your hand and put your hand in the brooder slowly. Hold still...they will get curious and then notice that the eggs are the same thing they ate yesterday. They'll swarm your hand and grab egg pieces and run away. Keep doing this once a day and within a few days they will be running to your hands and even standing in your hand! It works!

Just got my chicks from MPC yesterday. They aren't tame by any means, but I have noticed that after we let them fall asleep in our hands a few times, they seem less flighty. I've heard that if you approach the brooder from the top, make sure you hum or talk so they don't think you're some sort of predator.

Here's a couple photos of the SS - the least shy of the bunch.

56420_img_1173sm.jpg

56420_han_1196sm.jpg

Make a routine, and stick to it. Pick a time that's convenient for you, then every day, never fail, pick up your chicks individually and hold them, if only for a few moments. This is a great time to check each one for pasty butt and for anything else that might need attention: mites, injuries, etc. If you have a gram scale you could weigh them and plot their growth. At the same time, the chicks are getting used to handling.

I've been moving my three hens and their broods indoors at night. Oh, I know I don't need to, but I find I sleep better when the flock with their very little ones are indoors. I pick up each chick and put it in a bin with their hen to brind indoors and resettle for the night. At first, the chicks and the hens freaked; but they learned the routine pretty quickly. They still scoot when I'm rounding them up, but they don't have a conniption when I catch them.

Treats are great, too, and can be offered in combination with this routine. But giving treats only doesn't acustom the chicks to being handled, so I think it's good to do both.

welcome-byc.gif

I had about decided my 5 five week old BO chicks were going to hate me forever!
hit.gif

But Lo and Behold yesterday out of the blue one came up and wanted to be held, then others followed. They were chirping like my other chicks. I was thrilled!
wee.gif
Such a relief...they had from day one acted like I was going to cut their heads off.
hide.gif

When I started with the first batch in March, I scooped them up and held under my chin and spoke very softly to them; they responded with very low chirps. Most of my chicks will let me pick them up...still have a few 4 week olds who are shy. The 7 week old chicks love to be held; I can even put them on their back and they are totally relaxed...so much so that I was able to put their leg tags on so I can tell them apart.

Food is a great way to start. That is what I did...put starter in my palm and they would come running...one of the runts would climb into my palm to eat...that made it very easy to pick it up later without any food.

Good luck with your babes!
frow.gif

Last edited:
When I got my new girls (2) I hadn't read the information that over handling could stress them, SO- I spent ALL day holding them!
lol.png
I figured they were fine as long as they were warm (and they are). They are 3 weeks now, and I have a little 1week old ee in there with them. I let them out in the mornings and the older 2 do their chest bumping and running around, and the baby just runs after them like the little sister (SO CUTE).
Pretty soon they all come over to my recliner and chirp at me. I put the leg rest down halfway and they jump on and snuggle in my lap! I love it!

To note- I am a bit white trash- Their brooder is in the Living room and I have sheets all over the floor. About every hour or so I go around and pick up poop.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
I can realate to the poop in the house comment! We have been through many "lap towels" since we got our chicks! My great grandmother was a bona fide corn cob smoking oakie farm wife, so I'm just returning to my roots!
tongue.png

Our six week old chicks still come in at night to sleep in the bath tub brooder, and my boys bring them up one or two at a time for "chicken social hour". The one that comes up the most, Casey, has become very tame, while the ones that don't get handled as much are noticibly more wary of us.

Back
Top Bottom