How to Teach a dog to be good with chickens

Ettore.fin

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2018
London
Hi there everyone, recently an ex racing greyhound has joined my flock. Among the many reasons I got him one was that I hoped he'd be a guardian for my chickens, as there's a cat who is just waiting for an opportunity to get to my chickens and various foxes.

He's good with them and ignores them (in their coop) when the chickens are relaxed and just walk around but when they jump up and squawk he gets provoked and goes towards the coop trying to get to the chickens, however as soon as I tell him to come he comes and ignores the chickens.

Now that I've told you a bit about the situation has anyone managed to train an initially not chicken friendly dog to be friendly? And how did you do this?

Unfortunately a greyhound is a sight hound, it's bred into them to give chase over movement. When ever the chickens get excited and he sees that, his instincts are going to kick in. They weren't bred for guardianship, bred towards hunting instead. You can hope for him to be reasonable around them with your presence, he's proven that already. You'll likely always have to recall when the birds get excited, it's not likely he can over come his instincts in that regard.

Racing greyhounds are trained to chase a fast moving small animal - the mechanical rabbit that zips along the track rail.
Although you might be able to get your rescue to ignore the chickens when you are there and stop when you command, he will react so quickly to his original training when the chickens (or any other small animal) moves fast that I don't think you'd be able to stop it.
But you can continue to work at it.
Some people have had success with e-collars.

ETA: He would never be able to be left alone with the chickens IMO.

Hi there everyone, recently an ex racing greyhound has joined my flock. Among the many reasons I got him one was that I hoped he'd be a guardian for my chickens, as there's a cat who is just waiting for an opportunity to get to my chickens and various foxes.

He's good with them and ignores them (in their coop) when the chickens are relaxed and just walk around but when they jump up and squawk he gets provoked and goes towards the coop trying to get to the chickens, however as soon as I tell him to come he comes and ignores the chickens.

Now that I've told you a bit about the situation has anyone managed to train an initially not chicken friendly dog to be friendly? And how did you do this?
Do not waste your time here. Contact a dog trainer in your area, especially one with experience getting dogs to not go after small animals.

It's not likely you will get an already trained to chase dog to not chase. If it were a puppy it would a different story.
A good professional may be able to train. Otherwise I would use a muzzle and train some ecollar training.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom