How to teach a young emu to stop pecking so HARD?!?

How are they with their wings? Is there a problem with them knocking things over, like lamps, etc?

Also, could an ostrich be let indoors like the emus here?

thanks much,

Got to listen to a pair at dawn talking to each other as they skirted the house-clearing, then slipped into the old sheep-yards. Yummy grass in the old sheep-yards.

SE

Last edited:
LOL thats my boy El, the barn is attached to the house so he sneaks in every chance he gets,sometimes he quickly lays down in front of the couch,like I'm not going to notice a hundred pound bird in the living room.
love.gif
hes only allowed to stay a few minutes.

I wish I had a pet emu or Darwin rhea to hand rase .. Where and who would take my $ and make this happen.. Tho I can't incubate an egg this big.

We breed, raise and sell emu. To often hand raised baby emu have not had proper training and habits that were considered cute when they were little have developed into habits that can be quite dangerous. The poor misguided and misunderstood emu then usually ends up being processed. We do not suggest them as pets until after they are, what we call Juveniles.
Baby emu are going to be clingy til at least 3 to 4 months old. In nature, they are with their father and siblings for around 7 months. Even tho they are relatively self sufficient three days after hatching, they are not capable of protecting themselves and rely on Daddy to protect them. So yes, your baby will be clingy, will expect you to walk it around and show it what it can and should eat and intoduce it to water so it can learn to cool off and not get over heated and will also expect you to provide cover for it as it naps. Unlike other birds, daddy does not leave the young to fetch food and bring it back. Baby will expect you to bring it fresh greens, which may take awhile to discover which ones they like. Same with fruit, some like watermelon others love strawberries. Our hand raised are gently taught the difference between gentle nipping and to hard. We have had some we have had to keep in a pack and play beside the bed so they feel safe and not alone until they graduate to a larger nursery and then on to roam the farm at leisure. Our young, unlike in the wild, are also watched over by two adult males (one is their father) and occasionally their mother. The adults help us teach the young. * Please note; this is not normal emu behavior. Except for the father, most emu including their mother will kill the young if they have the chance.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you and your little one. And don't believe everything you read about them either, such as poor eyesight at night. Ours spot intruders in the dark and immediately run them off.

"Except for the father, most emu including their mother will kill the young if they have the chance."

Got a reference on this one?

se

Back
Top Bottom