How to teach babies not to peck people???

joletabey

SDWD!!!!
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
western NC
The last couple of days my little darlings have taken to pecking my arm when I take out their feeders, etc. If I wear a sweatshirt, they grab on to the sweatshirt. They aren't being "attack chickens", they just know that arm is associated with food. I like that they are friendly, but I don't want them to peck people. . . . .they are only three weeks old- what can I do when they swarm me and peck without seriously hurting one? Or do I start wearing metal sleeves???

When my 9 month old chickens were little, I had a couple that would do that. I just took my finger and gave them a tap on top of the head. (like a peck from another chicken) Not sure if it worked or if they grew out of it.
idunno.gif

They eventually seem to grow out of it. or mine did.

I recommend those polar fleese type sweatshirts. I used to wear one when I had to move my rooster at night, and he would peck me until he got used to being picked up. Couldn't hardly feel it through that fluffy stuff.

As others have said, whether it's helped or whether they've grown out of it...who knows??? I would take my and and push the offending beak/face away, and kind of like New2chooks, I would take my finger and "peck" at their beak or head. They still do it occasionally, depending on the type of clothes I wear for some reason, but not nearly as much as when they were really little. Sometimes I think that, since they don't have hands, they "explore" with their mouths/beaks???

That makes sense - if I am going to be the alpha chick around here, I suppose I would "peck" them back - like mama hen. And the polar fleece is a good idea, too, I am tired of little red marks on my arms!
Thanks!

I swoop them up face them towards me and politly tell them "You dont bite momma"
wink.png
ahhaha Then I hold them til im done for their punishment and my pleasure!!!! lol but yes... the "peck on the head" idea is good!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom