How to tell a female muscovy duck from a Male muscovy duck

the drake has no interests in the chicken hens he is more interested in the female he is with haven't seen any thing like that with this drake. but yeah we are building a pin for the chickens to stay in but we just haven't had the time to build it quick as we have other chores around the farm LOL.

but yeah they have a nice big pin and I haven't seen any breeding with the drake with the chickens they won't let him even if he tried there is 2 dominate Rhode island hens in this group they don't let anything go on that they don't want.

Mine are about 3 months old any guesses on gender?

Mine are about 3 months old any guesses on gender?

@becky7575 Both are same age? looks like one on the left is larger? if so that maybe your drake but there are other ways to tell length of head to tail legs being thick and farther apart all lean towards drake, body shaped like football with shorter tail and legs set closer under body means duck. Also drakes hiss and huff and females trill but they may be too young yet for those sounds.

Welcome to BYC

3 months old is too young to hear any voice differences, I think. I currently have fifteen 3-month Muscovies and all of them are still squeaking and peeping like a baby. Just an hour ago I went outside and Mr. Maple was standing tall like a big man, but peeping out in his little baby voice, and it looked so funny.

My males are double the size of the females already. Also, the females’ wings are fully developed now, but the males’ aren’t. My females already have sleek, pretty, “feminine” bodies while the males are chunky and big.

In the picture, they both look like males, actually. (And one of them looks exactly like one of my males!) Their feet are the same size, their wings aren’t developed, and they look stout and heavy. But the white one is smaller.

Back
Top Bottom