How to tell boy vs girl for 4/6 week olds

Clover4208

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
How do I sex my 4- 6 week old chicks? I have my suspicious chick here (this one is a 6 week half Bufforp half black australorp) also the chick in the pic is somehow black and white??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I have a couple suspicious chicks
Depending on the breed it can vary, but I’ll just tell you how to normally tell.

Any chickens with red/pink wattles and comb by 4-6 weeks is a roo. The pullets will sometimes have none existing combs, sometimes they’ll have very pale combs.
I have many different breeds I’ll list them all lol

At this stage look for wattles and redness of combs. At around 13 weeks saddle feathers and sickle feathers are good indicators as well. Hens have saddle feathers as well, though they are rounded not pointed as of those of a cockerels. Saddle feathers are in front of the tale that protrude down the side. Sickle feathers are long pointy tale feathers, hens have them as well, just not pointed. Hackle feathers are the feathers around the neck. Cockerels have pointy feathers, females rounded. Good luck!

Yeah it depends on the breed because pea and rose combs can be difficult to sex that early. But I’m sure if you posted pics people will give you a good idea about what you have

1 Buff Orpington X Black Australorp (6 week)
1 1/4 buckeye rest Buff orpington (6 week)
1 full buff orpington (5 or 6 week)
2 Light Brahmas (4 week)
2 Barred rock (5 week)
1 Americana (4 week)

Comb and wattles are the most important things, because male specific feathering doesn't appear until 12 weeks or so.

Any birds that show large, reddish combs before 12 weeks are probably males, and be on the look out for sudden growth spurt in the comb and wattles in that same time frame. Sometimes it's easiest just to compare the combs and wattles of your birds.

Certain color varieties are easy to sex early because males and females will have totally different coloring. Examples of breeds where this will work are black breasted red Old English game bantams, silver duckwing OEGBs, Welsummers and salmon Faverolles.

Also, evenness of color is usually indicative of females whereas patchiness of color is a trait of males. Particularly watch for darker patches at the shoulders, which usually indicates males.

Best of luck. I hope you get the genders you want.

The light brahmas you might have to wait on and probably the Americana too until they develop more. The other ones you may be able to tell based on comb and wattles. With your barred rocks the boys are double barred so they will have significantly more white on them than the girls

Back
Top Bottom