1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tell different stock of same breed apart? / What breeds can be bred ...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DuckyDucklings, Nov 26, 2012.

1. DuckyDucklings

DuckyDucklings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    How to tell different stock of same breed apart? / What breeds can be bred that are different colours? / (I know what I mean!!)
    This is possibly the most silly question you've read today - if I could but articulate it(!) - but hope you can help?
    Previously, with Call Ducks, I knew which ones were and weren't related in terms of breeding because of their different colours and markings. I'd now like to hatch some chickens, preferably bantams, but haven't decided which breed yet. I'd like to hatch eggs of the same breed from different sources to (hopefully) give me a healthy breeding stock ... but how do I, er, tell them apart easily if they're all the same colour? Is there a breed of chicken that different colours can be bred from? (I'm happy with strange colourings etc. but not everyone would be - they're to be pets, but I'd want to sell any extra ones.) i.e., after reading different posts on BYC it seems, with, say, Silkies, that pure bred chickens of one colour when crossed with another which is also pure bred of the same colour should give the same colour offspring....................but you wouldn't usually cross buff with white/any other colour so they're kept pure bred. (The eggs will be in the incubator at the same time so I won't necessarily be sure of which egg a chick has come out of to put a leg ring on/other, and they'll be raised together... If I had some black and some buff and some white life would be much easier!) Sorry - have had a very long day, and it's getting late here in the UK... Any advice? (apart from stick to ducks and get some sleep!!) Jane

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
  3. DuckyDucklings

DuckyDucklings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks for your reply Karen, much appreciated, but as I say, I might not know which chick has come out of each egg. My question is really about different colours or other obvious differences.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Try putting dividers in the hatcher tray. Mark your eggs, then you can toe punch or leg band them.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    my friend puts the eggs in grilling baskets when they go into lockdown. this way all of the line is in one spot and you can than leg band them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by