How to tell if a chick is in trouble?

Henriettta

Songster
Apr 28, 2021
Coleman, Wi
I have a chicken egg that externally pipped yesterday morning. It's been nearly 27 hours since anything has happened. The chicks beak is visible through the hole, and it appears to be "panting". I wetted my finger and touched the membrane, because it looked paper-y. I honestly can't tell if this is a shrink wrapping situation, or if he/she is just too tired. The humidity has been high because of hatching chicks. I opened the incubator once to remove the hatch chicks that have been in there 24 hours, because they were playing aggressive soccer in there with the other eggs.
The shell of the chick is real sturdy, it seems. Brittle, but sturdy. Maybe it's too strong?
Any advice is great, I spritzed water in there after I opened the lid and left the cracked eggs in there for humidity purposes when I checked.

Should I give it till the end of the day? Or help?

So glad to hear that! I was sad no one had replied and I haven't hatched eggs before so I boosted it in hopes that someone would see it and reply, but I guess everything is good. :hugs

I didn’t see this in time, but I’m glad it turned out okay! I had 3 chicks this year who ended up needing assistance after the external pip because they failed to zip properly. All had dried out and gotten stuck to the membranes from having been pipped for so long, despite the humidity being around 80%. They all made it out alive. If this happens again, you can start helping them after 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom