How to tell if a chicken has a broken foot or leg

Wyatt0224

Chirping
Mar 1, 2016
Westminster, Maryland
Hello everyone. One of my Silkie hens hasn't Ben walking for the past two days and now what seemed to be her good leg, her foot on that leg is looking really weird. It looks as if she won't walk on the pad of her foot and is instead trying to walk on her toes. It also appears she can't use right leg at all. Can anyone please tell me how I can tell if there is a broken leg or foot?

How old is she? First, I would start some poultry vitamins in her water that contain riboflavin (vitamin B2) since riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis. Does she walk on her hocks (elbows) or sit on them frequently? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease as a chick? That is a diseases that can cause lameness. Doe she have normal movement of her feet and legs when you touch them?

How old is she? First, I would start some poultry vitamins in her water that contain riboflavin (vitamin B2) since riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis. Does she walk on her hocks (elbows) or sit on them frequently? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease as a chick? That is a diseases that can cause lameness. Doe she have normal movement of her feet and legs when you touch them?

She is 21 weeks old. Yes she has been walking on her hocks a little. If she isn't then she's got her toes curled to where her toe pads are the only part of her foot touching the ground. I got her at tractor supply as a chick so I'd assume she wasn't vaccinated. No she doesn't have normal movement. It's almost as if she's scrunching her feet when I pick her up.

Try the vitamins, or you can also use human BComplex,PolyVisol baby vitamins, but make sure they contain riboflavin. Usually, if treated early, symptoms can improve fairly quickly. There is a good thread available to read here on BYC called The Great Big Mareks Faq. Let us know how she is doing in a few days. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom