How to tell if eggs went bad?

Chris-n-Kate

Songster
Mar 13, 2019
I have been giving my extra eggs to friends. One friend admitted she tried to incubate under a light but nothing happened. I told her an actual incubator would probably work better. She bought one so I gave her 7 because thats what it holds. She keeps asking me to look to see if they are where they should be, but I’ve not ever incubated so I’m not sure what to look for. Most have veins which I assumed is good some are just dark and you can’t see veins, but these are brown eggs and shes using a little cheap led so I’m hesitant to assume the ones I don’t see veins in are bad. I tried to get her to join here but she is hesitant.

How far along are they? You initially see veins about a week in and than they go dark generally if they are developing. With a good candler you can see heart beats and moment. Be careful handling them too much. Discard any that are clear or that smell bad.

So of that batch only one egg developed to the pip stage but died before it unzipped. I gave her another batch and stressed the importance of not overhandling but none developed. I have not incubated any yet but 100% are fertile when I check while preparing them as food. I was hoping to hatch this spring. Do you think my eggs are not viable could be an issue because my layers are only 8 months old or more likely the super cheap incubator she got one of the little plastic dome ones for $20 on Amazon.

Eggs are fragile, and some don't survive being transported. When I incubate shipped eggs the hatch rate is very low to none. My own eggs are nearly 100% hatch rate. I use broody hens.

Incubators can be tricky to use sometimes depending on the model. So I might assume your friend isn't doing something correct to hatch.

The incubator seemed suspect to me. I raised a few Cochin this summer in hopes of getting a broody next spring, so fingers crossed I won’t need to use an incubator but I will probably get one for emergency backup.

There are many variables that can cause a hatch to fail besides temperature, humidity and turning (which are among the most important).
I would never expect hatching in a $20 incubator. IMHO, she wasted $20. If she tried to hatch under a light bulb, she needs a lot more information/knowledge before she tries again. She would have far better success keeping the eggs in her bra for 3 weeks. (I'm not recommending that)
Obviously a $20 incubator doesn't have a turner. Do you know how frequently she was turning? Some people will recommend 2 or 3 times a day but IMO that is not often enough. A setting hen will turn eggs as many as 20 times a day during the first week of incubation. That early turning is essential for developing the chorio-allantoic membranes which are necessary for embryo health and growth.
I highly recommend she read through the entire first page of the following thread and she will be close to an incubation expert.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/
The following thread will give specific information on things that can go wrong depending on when the eggs fail.
I think nutrition of the breeder flock, proper storage prior to incubation and turning are things that are not given enough attention to.
https://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00004437/00001

Last edited:
There are many variables that can cause a hatch to fail besides temperature, humidity and turning (which are among the most important).
I would never expect hatching in a $20 incubator. IMHO, she wasted $20. If she tried to hatch under a light bulb, she needs a lot more information/knowledge before she tries again. She would have far better success keeping the eggs in her bra for 3 weeks. (I'm not recommending that)
Obviously a $20 incubator doesn't have a turner. Do you know how frequently she was turning? Some people will recommend 2 or 3 times a day but IMO that is not often enough. A setting hen will turn eggs as many as 20 times a day during the first week of incubation. That early turning is essential for developing the chorio-allantoic membranes that improves embryo health and growth.
I highly recommend she read through the entire first page of the following thread and she will be close to an incubation expert.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/
The following thread will give specific information on things that can go wrong depending on when the eggs fail.
I think nutrition of the breeder flock, proper storage prior to incubation and turning are things that are not given enough attention to.
https://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00004437/00001
Extremely informative! Thank you!

She lives just down the road however I didn’t give her more eggs. I made the suggestion if she waits till spring we could perhaps split a batch of chicks, or if I do get a broody would let her have a few.

Back
Top Bottom