How to tell if girls are eating their eggs

DaisyBishop

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Connecticut
I have 4 EE I rescued from some pretty nasty conditions. They were missing feathers and crammed into a tiny cage and seeing them like that broke my heart so I took them home and put them in my extra coop for about 60 days away from the other chickens. They are thriving now on layer pellets, some scratch in the morning for a treat and shelled sun flower seeds. They are fully feathered and glossy and look great. The issue is I haven't seen an egg yet. When I got them, I was told they were about a year old. They get plenty of good food and water and get to free range when I get home all afternoon. They seem to be mixing well with the other flock but still go to the other coop at night. If they are eating their eggs would I be able to tell? Would I find bits of shell or egg in the coup? I don't see any evidence of eggs in the coop. I have never had an egg eater before so I'm not sure what to look for.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
with mine if they eat them I see something in their nest, shell, or yolk. Maybe the change of homes they are a little nervous or something. How long have they been with you.

By the way that was nice of you to take them in!

Back
Top Bottom