How to tell Male or Female Egg?? 92% accurate!

HappyBeaks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Hi Guys, is any one interested in taking part in an experiment that could determine if an egg will hatch a male or female chick?

This is what I have discovered from my own hatching eggs. I collected 122 eggs over a number of days, Storing them at room temperature. I sorted the eggs and placed all the very pointed eggs in one incubator 42 in all, and 80 more rounded ones in the other incubator.

Out of the 80, 72 hatched. and 66 of them where female. 8 failed to hatch (More Rounded Less Pointy eggs)

Out of the 42, 31 hatched and 27 of them where male. 11 failed to hatch (Pointy eggs)

I think I have got the percentage right in the headline topic but if I am wrong, would be grateful if some one could correct me on this.

This was a done a number of years ago but have not got the time or space to conduct any more experiments for the time being.

All the eggs in both hatcher's where incubated between 38c and 38.4c I find this temperature very good and always achieved high hatch rate.

I would love to hear from any one else who has tried this and any one who would like to try this method. Post below to share your experiences. My father said this was just a coincidence the way they all turned out but I seriously beg to differ on that.

Has any one else got any valid views on this.

Thanks Guys

haha Yes I have had a few roos hatch to be fair, but huge percentage where female.

I just been chatting to a few people on a farm, they said they have had great success. Then some one else said the method did not work.

We need to figure out why some times it works and some times it does not work. For me it definitely did work.

I wish I had the time and space to do another hatch.

I wish I had the time and space to do another hatch, to see if its just a coincidence.

haha Yes I have had a few roos hatch to be fair, but huge percentage where female.

I just been chatting to a few people on a farm, they said they have had great success.  Then some one else said the method did not work.

We need to figure out why some times it works and some times it does not work. For me it definitely did work. 

I wish I had the time and space to do another hatch. 

I think it really has more to do with your hens. They do determine the sex. I have noticed that some hens just produce more males, some hens more female, and others an even mixture of both. You would have to identify each hens eggs then track her offspring to see what she tends to produce. One other thing I noticed is if I happen to have a year where I get more females, then those offspring seem to produce more males the following year.

Funny you should say that, now this is the honest to gods truth here. I will not mention the supermarket as dont want to give them free advertising.

About 10 years ago, the Misses bought some free range eggs from a supermarket. Just normal eating eggs. I took 12 of them and put them in the hatcher. Let me tell you the Misses nearly killed me because she wanted them for making a sponge cake for nieces birthday.

These had been in the fridge for over 4 days. 7 of them hatched into hens and 2 cockerels. I am now wandering if the fridge had anything to do with the high female rate. Thanks for the post. I never really thought about that to be honest until you said.

Quote: You just made my day, I'm still laughing. Great thread by the way, very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom