How to tell neighbors about new chickens?

Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve logged in but, yes chickens are allowed in my area and we do have a person down the street who has chickens and convinced us to get some of our own. I don’t think that one of our neighbors will mind there’s just a certain one who has a grudge against us for no reason.
Well, if they already have a grudge... It's a hard call, but I still think I'd get them. They're legal where you are, the neighbors are apparently already cranky, what more are they going to do? I admire your wanting to keep peace with them (or at least try to), but if they already have a problem with you, asking them if you can have chickens or not isn't going to change that. Maybe keep the coop on the opposite side of your yard from them? If they didn't want you to get chickens, would you really just give that up for them? Do you think that would improve your relationship, or would that just empower them to push you around further?

If your neighbors have kids, definitely introduce them to the chicks. No kid or adult can resist the cuteness factor of chicks, right?

Otherwise, I'd wait until they start laying eggs, because that's the first time the neighbors would notice any noise. Some free eggs (at least a free first taste, so they can appreciate the difference) is always a good idea. We share with the neighbor who hears all of the noise because they are super gracious about it.

For the grudge-holding neighbor, it doesn't really matter, right? If your hens are legal, there's not much he can do & 3 hens don't make too much noise.

I have totally gone crazy. I just think these eggs are such a gift -- and I've started treating them that way. If I share eggs with someone, I want them to know that's a special thing to me. So I bought these cartons & labels from Authentic Heirlooms Co. on etsy.com and started tying them up with ribbon when I give eggs away. It's my small way of sharing how important my flock is to me, you know?

20180401_101558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom