How to tell the difference…

Feb 25, 2022
Hi there! I’m not sure how to tell the difference between Buff Ducklings and Pekin Ducklings. Any tips??? Any ideas on this baby? I’m hopeful for a Buff eventually, but totally content if this nugget is a Pekin. Thanks for your help!
D7BAE7EA-B9EF-4C2B-8A0C-94E0E8780867.jpeg
C0288AAC-3D05-46D8-939E-77CD11329F5E.jpeg

Pekins will get big, fast. I suspect you'll know within a few weeks just based on size :)
Oooh thank you! Yeah, this little one is definitely growing quick! Almost twice the size of my darker duckling now. But that happened with my last round. My Golden 300 was twice the size of my Welsh Harlequin for a bit. It’s probably a waiting game for now. Thanks for your input!!

Pekins are fluffy yellow ducklings with pale orange beaks and feet. In the photo, yours seems to have a darker face. My second photo of a fluffy yellow had a dark bill with pink bean, and yellow feet. He is a muscovy

Attachments

• 20210313_121013.jpg
    20210313_121013.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210722_103537.jpg
    20210722_103537.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 2
Pekins are fluffy yellow ducklings with pale orange beaks and feet. In the photo, yours seems to have a darker face. My second photo of a fluffy yellow had a dark bill with pink bean, and yellow feet. He is a muscovy
Sweet little babies! I thought the face looked darker too. I specifically asked for the one with the darkest face in the hopes that it might be something unique. Love your sweet babies! Do your Muscovy ducks get along with the Pekins? Or do you separate them?

Sweet little babies! I thought the face looked darker too. I specifically asked for the one with the darkest face in the hopes that it might be something unique. Love your sweet babies! Do your Muscovy ducks get along with the Pekins? Or do you separate them?
My muscovy female [she was a rescue] is with my son's pekin females and they are all big buddies. My two muscovy drakes are with my pekin drake [who is best friend forever with one of the muscovy] and my son's pekin drake who had to be rehomed because he was bullying the muscovy duck. The drakes get on together as drakes geta along -- with squabbling. The muscovy drakes sleep in dog crates within the coop as the muscovy drakes exclude them from food and water -- their way of showing domination. During the day they free range: the pekins are very noisy -- their way of showing domination! My pekin drake is conflicted as he is buddy with my son's pekin drake as well as best friends with one of my muscovy!!!

My muscovy female [she was a rescue] is with my son's pekin females and they are all big buddies. My two muscovy drakes are with my pekin drake [who is best friend forever with one of the muscovy] and my son's pekin drake who had to be rehomed because he was bullying the muscovy duck. The drakes get on together as drakes geta along -- with squabbling. The muscovy drakes sleep in dog crates within the coop as the muscovy drakes exclude them from food and water -- their way of showing domination. During the day they free range: the pekins are very noisy -- their way of showing domination! My pekin drake is conflicted as he is buddy with my son's pekin drake as well as best friends with one of my muscovy!!!
😂😂😂 What a dynamic! Ducks are so goofy. Good to know! I will keep an eye on them and see if I get lucky enough that they get along! Thank you!

😂😂😂 What a dynamic! Ducks are so goofy. Good to know! I will keep an eye on them and see if I get lucky enough that they get along! Thank you!
If ducks are brought up together from a few days old they will likely get on until they are juveniles.

As you only have two ducklings, they will likely get on no matter what the sex ratio: that is an issue for people with 3 or more ducklings. As mine are rescues that came together at different ages, there is more room for likes and dislikes. Also, drake hormones can complicate matters

If ducks are brought up together from a few days old they will likely get on until they are juveniles.

As you only have two ducklings, they will likely get on no matter what the sex ratio: that is an issue for people with 3 or more ducklings. As mine are rescues that came together at different ages, there is more room for likes and dislikes. Also, drake hormones can complicate matters
For sure. I have two that just hit 8 weeks along with this pair. So I’m hoping we don’t have too much trouble, but also secretly hoping for multiple drakes so we have to get more females! I love our ducks and would happily grow our flock.

Back
Top Bottom