How to tell the difference between Black Giants and Australorps......

I appologize if this has already been said, but the Austalorps have a shiny green tint to their feathering. This was how I could tell them apart.

I believe both of those birds are cockerels. But...not knowing the background of the family...have NO idea...LOL

Females can be a bit smaller...but not too much smaller than the males.

My BJG roo is over 10lbs, he's six months old. I don't know his exact weight as PC's scale only goes up to 10lbs. His sister is currently much smaller, the same as the Delawares and Buff Orps from the same hatch date. His eyes are shinny, sinister black. His picture is on my comp. desktop. I love asking people at work if they'd like to see my big, black, cck. Here're some pics of my boy:

DSCN0975.jpg

DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

My show quality BJG hen was significantly taller at the shoulder than any of the BO or the RSL hens...she had the black legs with yellow bottoms of her feet. Even when she was a young girl she had a larger bone structure then the others, and dark brown eyes...Australorps usually have orange eyes and less tiny little stubble feathers on their face, more open skin around the eyes...i'll have to post a pic of her...she won best of large breed
smile.png

My two girls are about 2-3in taller at the shoulder than my RIR or BR. Their legs are twice as big around, and their toes are at least 1/2in longer. Here is a picture taken about a month ago. They have gotten even bigger since then:

2008_0911australorps0006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom