How to tell the difference between Runner and Pekin eggs?

Gone-Quackers

Chirping
Dec 21, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I have seven 7 mo. old runner hens and one 3 yr (?) old Pekin. One duck is definitely laying eggs. How do I tell which breed of duck it's from? The eggs are about the size of large chicken eggs and are grey/white. Is there a big size difference between breeds? I know both runners and Pekins can lay whitish eggs.
idunno.gif

My Runners lay large chicken egg sized eggs. If I recall, my Pekins' eggs were noticeably larger than that. also I have been told Runners - a smaller breed - will start laying a little earlier than Pekins, generally speaking.

Last edited:
Thanks Amiga!
No eggs today, I think I am a duck abuser. I couldn't figure out why the ducks didn't leave their pen as they usually do this morning so I shooed them out. They left the pen and laid back down. Turns out it's 5 F out. . . I let the ducks back into their pen. They are annoyed with me.
sad.png
Stupid human needs to just leave the ducks alone.
th.gif

Yup, 5F. Too cold for Runners to be out. MIne have only wanted to go out a couple of times a day, and only for about ten minutes while I do a quick room service. It's in the upper teens F. here.

Hmm, the first two days I found eggs they were hatched really early (before 6 am). Yesterday there wasn't an egg at 5:40 am when I left for work but was an egg when I came home. I suspect the same situation today. Does this mean I have more than one duck laying? I'm only finding one egg/day for the past 3 days (don't know about today yet) however as a kid our individual ducks/chickens seemed to lay at the same time every day. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Hmm, the first two days I found eggs they were hatched really early (before 6 am). Yesterday there wasn't an egg at 5:40 am when I left for work but was an egg when I came home. I suspect the same situation today. Does this mean I have more than one duck laying? I'm only finding one egg/day for the past 3 days (don't know about today yet) however as a kid our individual ducks/chickens seemed to lay at the same time every day. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Ducks can have quite a bit of variation in when they lay eggs. Mine used to lay between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m., then sometimes in the afternoon, and now rarely before 8 a.m.

Interesting. . Today is day 4 of laying eggs and no egg today as of 1 pm. I'll check again when I get home tonight and do duck chores. I got plans for the eggs, big plans so I hope they all start laying soon. Hey, I even gave them part of my salad last night! Surely a lettuce and tomato mix counts as a bribe?
roll.png

Are your ducks laying Amiga?

Rowena, my little black duck (Cayuga? BEI? There is some debate, as she is adopted) is laying a few each week. Mostly on days that are above freezing. Her laying is definitely affected by temperature.

I also know that there seems to be more egg laying in general when there is regularly salad on the menu.

Rowena, my little black duck (Cayuga? BEI? There is some debate, as she is adopted) is laying a few each week. Mostly on days that are above freezing. Her laying is definitely affected by temperature.

I also know that there seems to be more egg laying in general when there is regularly salad on the menu.

I think I need to buy more salad. Unless you're joking?
wink.png

Not joking.

This time of year I sprout wheat seeds for them. Sometimes I feed them as sprouts, sometimes I let them green up a little - the ducks seem to appreciate leafy green things this time of year. Lettuce cores are appreciated also (but make sure you don't have any doofus ducks that choke on things - I have watched mine numerous times and they seem to be able to handle lettuce cores responsibly).

It seems to me a little less expensive to sprout things for the ducks - but I still do purchase greens for them sometimes when I am feeling flush.

Not joking. Really. This is how I think….

Back
Top Bottom