How to tell the difference - Pullet or Roo??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennym, May 28, 2008.

1. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    How can you really tell the differerence betweena pullet and a Roo?
    I ordered six hens fromMPC and starting to wonder.[​IMG]

I will post some pictures tonight when i get home.

2. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    It's different for each breed I've discovered! I've also discovered that different people have different methods so it's a tricky thing. Pics help a lot so post 'em up! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've reposted this original post from Gindee77 so many times I feel like I should be paying royalties, but here goes:
    according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

4. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Thank you so much Gritsar all my ?'s anwsered in one post

5. leoismydog

leoismydog Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    My chicks or about 4 weeks and i beleive i see the start of the spur on some of there legs, Silly question but do the hens get small spurs, or would this be a determining factor on cock/hen. It seens that of both the EE's and the Orp's 3 of the 4 have this tin spot,nail forming. Thanks Leroy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by