how to tell the sex of a chick

http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_sexing.html

Feather sexing is based on feather characteristics that differ between male and female chicks. The method is very easy to learn by the poultryman, but the feather appearances are determined by specially selected genetic traits that must be present in the chick strain. Most strains (breeds) of chickens do not have these feather sexing characteristics and feathering of both sexes appear identical.

Poor chicks, getting tossed around like that!
sad.png

That sexing info was helpful though, I'm gonna go look at my chick's wings right now!

worked in a hatchery just like this one many years ago, they get tossed around alot worse than this video shows,,,(which is why I say chicks are not as fragile as some think)....and by the way each one of those boxes at the end should have 100 chicks in and 3 roos for every box is considered acceptable...2 boxes got checked every hour, and anything over 3 roos in a box shut the line down and all the boxes on the sexing floor were then gone thru again.....gotta admit when we had new people start it was not unusual to see boxes with 15 to 20 roos make it thru the line...I know all birds can not be sexed this way, but to be on the safe side I always check when buying chicks at the feed store people always ask what I am doing...

Can't believe they toss them around like that. We wouldn't do that to a newborn human, why is it necessary to do it to the chicks? CRUEL is all I have to say about tthat! The sexing part was helpful. Didn't like the rest of the video.

I saw this video when I got my chicks 8 weeks ago (buff orpingtons) and my guesses based on their feathers was right for the 3 that I'm sure of their sex right now. The 4th I was unsure of then and am still unsure of today LOL

Back
Top Bottom