how to tell whos laying?

You can feel the width of their pelvic bones. Just back from their legs, you will feel the bones. 1 finger width is not laying. 2 or more finger width is laying.

from these pictures can you tell me if they all came from the same chicken or if they came from 2 different ones?
The larger egg is store bought I used it for comparison of size, color and shape.

the one above is our first ever homegrown egg! it was pooped out on the 13th of this month

this one was from yesterday and the one below was from today

The one i suspect is laying them is my australorp, Berth. She has been squatting since the second of January. But my Dominique, Ji (who is the same age) began squatting on the 14th, one day after the first egg had been laid.
If you have any advice tips or trick that would be super!
Thanks for the help!!

If you want the eggs from just one hen then give her a private spot with her own nest box. Only way to know for sure.

Now if you are looking for fertile eggs for hatching (and you have more than one cock) isolate her for two weeks or more then add the cockerel for a few days of active breeding. Then you can remove him to main flock to prevent him over-breeding her and then repeat the process. ie: 'Selective breeding' then you can hatch and sell chicks or sell the 'fertile' eggs.

Now that said, a different breed cock WILL fertilize her but the hatching chicks will be mutts/mix and may not resemble or hold her qualities. :/

Back
Top Bottom