how to tell???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kymshenhouse, Sep 5, 2008.

1. kymshenhouse

kymshenhouse New Egg

Sep 5, 2008
    Ipswich Qld Australia
    I am completely new to chickens and learning more about them every day. But before I decide to get my own I would like to know if there is any easy way of knowing if a chicken is indeed a hen or a rooster when they are only at a chick stage??? Any hep would be gratefull.

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    There are many signs and sexlinked birds can be sexed by color, so that may be a breed you want to look into.
    Some folks use a feather wing test at 1-2 days old too. I can't off hand remember which way the feather look to indicate boy from girl but if you spread the wing out there will either be a row of feathers all the same length or 2 different lengths. Search her or internet for it.
    Wish I could help more.

Good luck and welcome!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've heard of feather sexing, but I don't know if it works on all breeds or not. When I picked out my birds at our feed store, I tried to get ones that were a week or more old. I chose from the groups of sexed pullets (supposed to be 90% pullets at least), and I picked out the ones that didn't appear to have any boyish traits hoping to increase my odds. If one had a larger comb, thicker legs, a small tail, or wasn't growing feathers across the wing bows as well compared to the rest of the group, I didn't pick that one. So far it has worked for me, my six birds are all girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by