How to train a chicken to walk on a harness. (Thinking of making an article, have some questions)

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

I GOT DUCCLES
Jan 17, 2022
Ok. I know there are not very many people who walk chickens. But I bought a harness and wondered if anyone had advice. @cluckmecoop7 , I know you have one and an article on how to put it on. If I make an article I will show how I first trained my rooster to walk in one and how to put one on, so copying you a bit, but I do mine a bit different than you. Then how to train them to walk in it. I use bread. So for step one I put the neck piece around and give a small piece of bread. If they take a step with that on, bread. Put the strap through the loop, bread. Walk with it like that, bread. Snap together, bread. Walk, bread. Clip on leash, bread. Walk, bread. You get the point, bread. I then take them outside and that really distracts them from having a thing around their neck. My rooster still tries to back out of it, but I right him and he moves on. How does everyone else train their chickens to walk on a leash? What else should I add to the article? Advice? Questions?

Ok. I know there are not very many people who walk chickens. But I bought a harness and wondered if anyone had advice. @cluckmecoop7 , I know you have one and an article on how to put it on. If I make an article I will show how I first trained my rooster to walk in one and how to put one on, so copying you a bit, but I do mine a bit different than you. Then how to train them to walk in it. I use bread. So for step one I put the neck piece around and give a small piece of bread. If they take a step with that on, bread. Put the strap through the loop, bread. Walk with it like that, bread. Snap together, bread. Walk, bread. Clip on leash, bread. Walk, bread. You get the point, bread. I then take them outside and that really distracts them from having a thing around their neck. My rooster still tries to back out of it, but I right him and he moves on. How does everyone else train their chickens to walk on a leash? What else should I add to the article? Advice? Questions?
Mine kind of just liked it or not. But I used to put hen saddles on them to get them used to having something on their bodies. Then I would harness them, but ldt them just wear it for a Few hours a day to get it comfortable. I would follow them around once I got them with a leash and then we just “walked” and one of my chickens I walk follows me anyways so she just walks right next to me the whole time 🤣

good luck❤️

Back
Top Bottom