How to train a dog to protect chickens.

Cool!

I stand corrected. Standard poodles can be herding dogs.

I would never cut a dog's coat like that, though. :)

Cool!

I stand corrected. Standard poodles can be herding dogs.

I would never cut a dog's coat like that, though. :)

lau.gif

yeah... they do have some interesting hairstyles.. ever seen the competitions where they "artistically" groom them?... everything from skeledogs to camels to Captain Jack Sparrow..
gig.gif

Poodles were originally bred in Germany(pudel - german for 'to splash about') to be water fowl retrieval dogs.
The funny hair cuts came from protecting their joints from the cold water.

They are very smart and trainable to do many things including herding.
There's even a dog sled team of poodles.

If you cut them short the burrs pretty much brush out easily.

Last edited:
Most folks also do not realize some poodles are fairly large. Why they bred them for the hair growth does not make sense.
The reason they bred poodles to have big hair is so that the poodle can benefit from the flotation and insulation all that oily hair provides. Poodles originally were water dogs bred to retrieve water fowl for the gun. That was also the idea behind the "poodle" cut.

My mutts watch my chickens just fine. All of my animals get along luckily! I personally would never buy a dog. There are so many great dogs that aren't "purebred" that need homes.

True.

But sometimes you get what you pay for. I used to say the same thing and I have had some really great rescue dogs and I have also had some problem child rescue dogs. About twelve years ago I started breeding German Shepherds. My wife always wanted a German Shepherd so I bought her one. Within a few months I was completely sold out on the breed. I have never had a smarter more loyal dog. I have owned many different breeds of dogs before I owned my first shepherd. I don't think I'll ever own a different breed, unless I were to get back into hunting with dogs. JMHO

I was given a chicken killing Great Pyrenees. Fortunately my coop is built strong, as she really hated the hens. it took a while and lots of patience, but she is now my chicken protector.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453&p=1

We also have a black Lab/Great Dane mix named Parker. He has been trained by Paris, the GP. Parker only goofed once, playing with a rooster. He was scolded, punished and has NEVER played with chickens again. I trust both dogs with the chickens 100%.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35617

The best way to train a dog to protect chickens or any livestock for that matter is to buy a dog that has a centuries long heritage of protecting livestock bred right into the pooch.

Think about it. You never see a poodle or a bull dog herding sheep, or a cocker spaniel trailing escaped prisoners or an attack beagle riding in the back of a police car. Could there be a good reason for this?

Check out the Live Stock Guard Dogs being used in Australia to guard nesting Little Blue Penguins from Red Foxes on middle Island.
(link above)

Back
Top Bottom