How to train my 7 week olds

ChickenMasta1105

Chirping
Dec 9, 2020
Hello! I want to know how to make my approximately 7 week old chickens love to sit on my arm. Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way to make them love to sit on my arm? Please also tell me if my chickens can be potty-trained, if I try. And while you are there, please tell me other tricks I can teach my chickens. I have attached a pic of my birds so you can have an idea of their age. They all center around 7 weeks. Thanks for your time!
Screenshot_2020-12-10-00-07-30.png

First of all, you are aware you have at least 1, most likely 2 males in that group right?

No, birds cannot be potty trained like cats or dogs. They lack the muscles to "hold" waste until they are in a good spot to poop.

There is no "quick and easy" way to make them willing and happy to be by you. Some may naturally be very friendly, some can never be taught humans aren't threats. Try to get them used to you with treats to the point you can touch them while they're eating without running away. Then you might have a chance

First of all, you are aware you have at least 1, most likely 2 males in that group right?

No, birds cannot be potty trained like cats or dogs. They lack the muscles to "hold" waste until they are in a good spot to poop.

There is no "quick and easy" way to make them willing and happy to be by you. Some may naturally be very friendly, some can never be taught humans aren't threats. Try to get them used to you with treats to the point you can touch them while they're eating without running away. Then you might have a chance
I know there are 2 roosters. But they do love treats and enjoy me when I give them treats. But any way I want to know how to call them and they come and sit on my arms. Please assist me on this. Thanks.

Hello! I want to know how to make my approximately 7 week old chickens love to sit on my arm. Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way to make them love to sit on my arm? Please also tell me if my chickens can be potty-trained, if I try. And while you are there, please tell me other tricks I can teach my chickens. I have attached a pic of my birds so you can have an idea of their age. They all center around 7 weeks. Thanks for your time!View attachment 2443082
I’m new to keeping chickens so take this advice as you will. My first chicken I trained to come by name... on accident. His name is Fuzzy and he loves treats. So whenever I would be giving him treats I said his name and talked to him. Told him he was a good boy and how nice he was being. It actually worked. He learned that if I were to call his name, and he came, he got treats. I read that getting them to sit on your arm you can use the treat method as well. Put some in a small container and shake it near your arm. Don’t let them have any until they jump up to where you want them. I tried this with Fuzzy, and later his two hens, and it worked. It took a couple days for him to get it but he did get it.
He doesn’t do this anymore because he has become a fiesty boy and likes to peck at me if I hand feed him. Not just my hand either. If I stop hand feeding him he pecks at my pants wanting more. So I don’t hand feed anymore. If he was alone and a pet I probably would have trained him more.

I know there are 2 roosters. But they do love treats and enjoy me when I give them treats. But any way I want to know how to call them and they come and sit on my arms. Please assist me on this. Thanks.
Heck if I know that. I have one bird that follows after me and wants to be held and that's because she's special needs. Mine aren't pets so I don't treat them like pets

My 3 hens will jump up onto their perch in the run when I say 'up' :) they regularly hop up onto my lap and often fall asleep there in the summer :) It took a long time for them to trust me, but I figure their caution is good for when any predators get close anyway.
I started with sitting in their run and not trying to catch/touch them, just being a harmless presence scattering treats, reading a book etc. Then slowly started to gently stroke their backs when they were taking food from me, til they were comfortable enough to test out hopping onto my foot, then leg... now lap and sometimes arm ( if lap is taken :))
High value treats are the key to training... at least, that's what works for my lot :)

^^ post is good advice. Put a chair in your run and just sit there 20-30 minutes. Do not try an touch them, or call them or anything, get up and leave.

Day two - go sit in the chair for 10 minutes, then throw out some feed away from you. Sit quietly while they eat the treats. Wait till they leave the treats then go.

Day three and four - repeat, except each day, put the treats just slightly closer to you, do not reach for the birds, just sit there.

Repeat, one day they will jump into your lap.

Some birds are better at this than others. Some just really don't like to be handled or petted. Do be aware, that chickens are not puppies or kittens, where as if you are nice to them, they are nice to you. Being nice to a chicken is being submissive to them, you are lower in respect when they sit on your lap. Not a big deal with chickens, but you have two roosters.

Roosters that do not respect your distance, who become pets, loose all fear of people, loose all respect and often become violent bullies.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom