How to treat niacin deficiency appropriately?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
One of my pekin ducklings has niacin deficiency (at least i think it does). Its leg is looking bent inwards and it’s having trouble walking. I’m hesitant about giving it any liquid vitamin b complex bc i don’t trust myself to inject it into its mouth. I already have brewer’s yeast, which i give to my ducklings every day. This one ducklings seems to be the only one who is having this trouble. The internet says five billion different things about treating niacin deficiency. I’m confused about what dosage to give also. The ducklings are 4-5 weeks old. I already read that one thread about niacin deficiency, but as I said, i don’t trust myself to inject the ducklings with liquid vitamin b complex.

You can put the vitamins on one it's favorite treats. Depending on the size, it can be very difficult and potentially dangerous to inject it into its mouth.

You can also give them peas as a treat, it has lots of vitamin B and ducks love them.

If you haven't looked at it yet, here is a link about naicin deficiency and treating it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I've never used Brewers yeast because it doesn't have enough niacin in it. I used Nutritional yeast even now that all my ducks are mature they still get it sprinkled on their feed a couple of times a week. But when my Runners showed shakey leg They got Liquid B complex. Just remember they need this until at least 10 weeks old and if Pekin maybe the rest of their lives.

I've never used Brewers yeast because it doesn't have enough niacin in it. I used Nutritional yeast even now that all my ducks are mature they still get it sprinkled on their feed a couple of times a week. But when my Runners showed shakey leg They got Liquid B complex. Just remember they need this until at least 10 weeks old and if Pekin maybe the rest of their lives.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex?cm_vc=-10005
Would this work?

That is it exactly. I ml daily. It says injectable but just peel off the metal top use a dropper or 1ml syringe and keep the bottle in the frig.

Back
Top Bottom