How to Treat Scaly Leg Mites

@Brahma Chicken5000, most vets would recommend treating with ivermectin or moxidectin.
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/knemidocoptiasis-birds?id=&sk=&date=&pageID=6

I've had a few here with them, and ivermectin is what I use, so that is what I would recommend.

I noticed that at least one of her claws is long, so you might want to trim that too. Looks like maybe a joint on that toe is swollen, so that's probably why that claw grows long.
I will be picking up ivermectin on my next trip to TSC.

Yes her claws are long on that one foot, have been since the day I got her. I believe someone stepped on her toes and they were never splinted and that’s why they’re crooked. She’s able to scratch around just fine but if they get too long I’ll clip them.

@Brahma Chicken5000
Imo chickens should already be on some sort of lice/mite preventative.
Ivermectin is overused and is losing it’s effectiveness not just for worms but everything.
I’ve seen others birds with scaly leg mites which had already been given ivermectin.
Do you know if that bird was incubator hatched? A lot of crooked toes come from incubators.

Ivermectin is overused and is losing it’s effectiveness not just for worms but everything.
I use it all the time for lice and it works 100% of the time for them. I've also use it for leg mites and it's worked 100% of the time for them too. For it to work properly, the correct dose needs to be given :D

I agree about the worms, there are lots of poultry worms it doesn't treat.

I’ve seen others birds with scaly leg mites which had already been given iverme
Were they given the correct dose?

Do you know if that bird was incubator hatched? A lot of crooked toes come from incubators.
Look closely at the toe with the long nail. What I'm seeing is a swollen joint, like maybe that joint got infected.

I use it all the time for lice and it works 100% of the time for them. I've also use it for leg mites and it's worked 100% of the time for them too. For it to work properly, the correct dose needs to be given :D

I agree about the worms, there are lots of poultry worms it doesn't treat.

Were they given the correct dose?

Look closely at the toe with the long nail. What I'm seeing is a swollen joint, like maybe that joint got infected.
I can’t prove whether the correct dose was given. All three toes are pointing to the left. That joint will swell because it’s twisted and that part is bearing the weight.

Back
Top Bottom