How to treat sour crop?? Help plz

fuzzy8

Chirping
Mar 18, 2016
Escanaba, Mi
I have a young chicken maybe 16-18 weeks old. It's crop feels like a water ballon. I was told most likely sour crop. The bird has been isolated and was off water and food for 24 hours. Still no sign of it getting better. I was told to inject some red wine and olive oil down her throat to help so I did that also. Still no sign. Now I gave her water with probiotics and apple cider vinegar. Also gave her some grit. People say the bird should be slow and sluggish. Not her she wants to run and fly. I massaged her crop a few times too. I can't figure out what to do

Hi there. Sorry to hear you're having issues. Do you have her separated? What do her poops look like? Has she been on grass or long weeds? When you massage her crop is it all squishy or can you feel any hard lumps in there? Have you seen any liquid come out of her beak? Does her breath smell? Here's a very thorough article on crop problems and treatments. I have used the epsom salt treatment previously with success.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Please make sure she always has water...a chicken can go for sometime with no food but they must have water.

Yes she is separated. She free ranges when I am home so she does get grass and weeds or what ever she eats. I only got a little bit of liquid to come out of her. I didn't get close enough to smell. He crop feels like it's full of water and nothing big and hard. Her poop seems normal and she seems normally besides the large crop.

Yes she is separated. She free ranges when I am home so she does get grass and weeds or what ever she eats. I only got a little bit of liquid to come out of her. I didn't get close enough to smell. He crop feels like it's full of water and nothing big and hard. Her poop seems normal and she seems normally besides the large crop.
Can you post pictures of her poop?

-Kathy

I went to take a picture of her poop, and couldn't find any. She is in a 4x4 wooden tote full of pine shavings and yesterday I had noticed some but she must have covered it up pacing back and forth and scratching around.

Back
Top Bottom