How to treat.....

I would try the corid and de-wormer. She may have some reproductive problems going on as well.

It is frustrating when they are not doing well, sometimes there is not much we can do but try to treat what we think may be happening, but often times we won't be able to find out much until they have passed and a necrospy is performed.

If you are near your state lab http://agi.alabama.gov/divisions/veterinary-diagnostic-labs
You might want to call them to see if they accept stool samples for testing. Each state is different so I don't know if that's possible.
Update on Ellie Mae: she is hanging with us, she eats a little, she must eat more than I think because she poops, the urates are still yellow but not as bright yellow so maybe that is a good thing. I did contact the diagnostic lab, they only do the necropsy and I have to drive the bird to them which it is only an hour and a half away one way which is no problem but like I told them I would prefer to not lose my pullet to find out what's wrong with her. Anyway I will update again hopefully with great news!

I was thinking that she may need an antibiotic, we have done the Corid and Ivermectin and no change. I have read that yellow urates could be E. coli or salmonella infection. I don't know if this could be it or not I'm just at this point grasping at straws trying to figure her illnes out.

Getting testing is always a good idea.
If that's not possible and you think that she may have E Coli or Salmonella get some Baytril and treat her.

Yellow urates can be from a number of things from infection to reproductive disorders to cancer.

Greetings Wil781,

Your hen's urates are yellow because her liver is stressed, the kidneys may be involved too. micstrachan is correct, Milk Thistle will help support the hen's liver and kidneys during her illness.

I don't think worms would cause her liver to stress. Usually when my hens or rooster have yellow urates, it is due to some infection. I don't like to worm a sick chicken, unless I know for sure with a fecal float test, that an infestation is also compromising the health. Any vet can do a fecal float test for you. Worm eggs are worm eggs, whether in a dog, cat or chicken. Even coccidia is identifiable in the same fecal float test. But, I sympathize with you, as, some vets do have strange views.

Back to your hen's issue. I suggest you administer a milk thistle product to your hen a.s.a.p. I use Liquid Hepato For Pets. This product also contains B vitamins to stimulate appetite. Dosage for your hen would be .3 mL, two times a day, till her urates return to cream or white color. This can be administered along with any antibiotic, antifungal, or alone.
liquid hepato.jpg
You may be able to purchase this from a local vet, or check local pet stores, or purchase online.

At six months of age, it's hard to know exactly what kind of infection the chicken has, if it is infection. But, just the support of Liquid Hepato may help her heal without antibiotics. You can also administer some Colloidal Silver, 20-30 ppm. This is sold at any health food store, and is a natural antibiotic.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

No eggs since first of last week
Will she drink/eat on her own?

If you can find the products in @Hen Pen Jem previous post, that would be worth a try. I know some people use that in hen's with reproductive disorders as well. For a short period of time it can make them comfortable especially if they have fluid in the abdomen. I don't see anything that it would hurt.

When I have a sick chicken I just give them Poultry NutriDrench, clean water and feed. I may add some water to the feed, and add a little chopped egg, tuna, or liver in small amounts. Many chickens with egg yolk peritonitis do not digest the food normally, so they may not eat well.

I don’t use many of the herbal remedies, except some occasiona garlic, although many believe in them and use them. I just feel like for those whose finances are tight, those herbal remedies may be expensive and not necessary. Chickens with reproductive disorders or liver problems generally do not make it long term. Money may be spent on more necessary items, but if you can afford to try various products recommended, that is fine. Hen Pen Jem seems to know a lot about herbal remedies, and she is very nice to offer help.

I raised her from a day old chick. I feed them Purinia Grower fermented and dry and occasionally some scratch, i also sprout lentils, clover, mung beans, etc., my girls can't free range because of neighborhood dogs. I also give them grit. I did loose her sister a couple weeks ago to sour crop. This hen had a flat crop but now today she has started eating. So you think I should start them on Corrid? I believe the dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of cool water. I will call my vet in the morning to see if he can do a fecal float for me.
Try getting a fecal float first, if possible.

You are correct - Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons to 1 gallon of water.

Keep us posted.

Try getting a fecal float first, if possible.

You are correct - Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons to 1 gallon of water.

Keep us posted.
She is acting a little off again today, I gave them all a separate waterer with probiotics along with there regular water. I don't understand this yellow stringy stuff in her poop is this her urine? Anyway I called the vet he is giving me a wormer for her when I asked about a fecal float they said they don't offer it (strange I think). I really don't want to worm them unless they have worms. So anyway I didn't start the Corrid but thinking maybe I should? I need advise please...

IMG_1173.JPG This her poop from overnight. It just occurred to me what. The yellow stringy stuff reminds me of an egg that was boiled and cracked and the yolk was boiled

Last edited:
The droppings have urates that look yellow. I would worry about a reproductive disorder, as Wyorp Rock has suggested, or possible liver disease. Is she overweight or does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? But I agree with treating with Corid for possible coccidiosis first. Worming is good. I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for worming, but don’t see any reason that you cannot use the Corid and the ivermectin at the same time.
Thank you for your response, the yellow looks like boiled egg yolk. She is not an over weight bird I don’t think I will post pic of her. I will check for enlarged abdomen when I get home and up date.
648660F4-5B6E-43E0-93D2-177E39D9E44B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom