How to use a non-walk-in coop??

SesameSt.Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Hello!
I have only had chickens for 3 years now and I use the same coop I was first given - a walk in coop. I have recently realized that not all coops are walk-in coops (and that is actually a luxury, it seems)! I walk in, get their waterer and feeder, bring it out, refill it and put it back in.

Now I have been blessed with a second coop, but don't know how to use it! LOL

It is not a walk-in. What is the use for this kind of coop? How would I feed and water my chickens? Am I not "supposed" to feed and water them in it? How would I clean it?? (It has a floor right now, but I plan on taking it out, especially since it is rotted out anyhow).

Here are some pictures of it:

The roof is screwed in... the bottom "door" is open (and has no closure), the top "window" is screened:

Right side, looking through the door:

Looking through door (the nesting boxes are free-standing):

Left side:

Thanks!!!

I have a non walk in coop. Its an old dog house that I converted. I simply put the food and water near the entrance, and its small enough that I can reach in and grab any eggs without too much problem. The biggest issue I have right now is that in order to get into the coop I have to remove the "roof" of the chicken run so I can fit in there to open the door. Its a pain, but it works for now.

Hello - I'm no expert, I am a first timer with 7-week olds. The first thing I noticed is the big gap in the last picture where the wall meets the floor and you can see grass. You will have to do a lot of predator proofing. You may end up having to strip it down to the frame. My coop is not walk in either, they are not in it yet (I only have 5 girls) but we built a protected extended. It is elevated so I'll put the food and water underneath that. Here is a pic of it just after DH put it together. The coop is just for them to sleep in, and walk-in's make cleaning much easier. Well, I imagine they do!

I would say that you have been blessed with a coop that has very good bones.
clap.gif

Maybe the first thing you should check into is the Feeder & Water section under the BYC Coops page. There are some VERY clever designs for feeders and water-ers that can be filled from outside the coop.

Next, if I were you, I'd check around that pop door. It looks like you might be able to cut that whole section (the screened area above it and the wall it's actually in) to make one large door. How tall is it anyway?

Hello - I'm no expert, I am a first timer with 7-week olds. The first thing I noticed is the big gap in the last picture where the wall meets the floor and you can see grass.

I plan on knocking out the floor so that it won't be an issue, and that it could sit on the ground. I have not had any problem with predators with the other coop which rests on the ground.

You will have to do a lot of predator proofing. You may end up having to strip it down to the frame. My coop is not walk in either, they are not in it yet (I only have 5 girls) but we built a protected extended. It is elevated so I'll put the food and water underneath that. Here is a pic of it just after DH put it together.

Nice coop!!

The coop is just for them to sleep in, and walk-in's make cleaning much easier. Well, I imagine they do!

Ah, yeah, my chickens would need to be in the coop full-time because I can not free-range them.

Back
Top Bottom