How to use grit?

garngang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Central Arkansas
If I want to start feeding my chicks treats soon how do I feed them grit? Do I give it to them free choice or should I empty their feeder and mix grit in with the food? If that's the case then how much do you think? I'm using one of those 5 gallon feeders.

This is my opinion, someone with more knowledge will jump on here soon! If you've already got feed in a 5 gallon container, maybe sprinkle some grit over the food that is exposed. I've been giving them feed and grit mixed in the smaller round 8 hole feeders. It's just more convenient for me as I only have 12 chicks right now. I have 2 different age groups, so they're separate. More coming!! But I did try to have the grit free choice and they just kept pooping and laying in it. They did eat it, but it was just messy and a waste of money for me.
tongue.png

I give mine free choice of grit whenever I give them treats. I mix some garden sand, parakeet grit and granite grit together and sometimes they'll go crazy for it. Other times, they'll just ignore it.

We have 8 week olds, and from the first week I mixed the grit in with their food. BTW get live crickets at a pet / feed store and give these as a treat. It's a hoot to watch the chicks chase them and each other around.

My chicks are 5 weeks old and will probably be moving out of my house and into theirs next weekend. (Hooray! I get my TV room back) From what I've read here on the site, since their run is on dirt they should manage to get all the grit they need by simply scratching around in it, right?

I've never given them any treats, partially to avoid the whole "when do I give them grit?" question and because they get quite excited simply eating starter out of my hand a couple of times each day.

Steve

I've always used trough feeders and just "salted" the feed in the trough with grit.

I think with a range feeder I would just toss in a teaspoon full here and there as I filled it up.

You can also just toss it on their litter and let them scratch for it. Not very efficient, but they seem to enjoy it.

As you seem to already know, you only need to feed grit if your birds will have access to foods other than commercial chick feed.

I just put finch grit (finer than parakeet) in a small bowl in the brooder at 3 wks of age when I gave them meal worms. A lot would get kicked out but then they would scratch for it in the shavings.

I would refill the bowl if I was going to give additional snacks like fresh baby grass, scrambled eggs, cabbage, earth worms.

I didn't put my grit in their chick starter because I wanted them to know there was a difference between grit and food.

Ok thanks you guys! I think after work tomorrow I'll go get some grit and try some treats. Crickets sound fun. Maybe I'll do some yogurt or oatmeal too. Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom