How to vaccinate freshly hatched chicks...?

chickenbritt5908

Songster
Nov 20, 2019
Oklahoma
I have a week before my incubator babies are supposed to hatch. I want to give them the best chance so I understand vaccinating can help with that. When, what, how do I vaccinate them once they hatch?

What do you want do vaccinate them against? Hatcheries usually vaccinate against mareks, and it is possible to do at home but it can be a bit tricky to do. I have never had a problem with mareks (knock on wood) And have never vaccinated my hatches.

What do you want do vaccinate them against? Hatcheries usually vaccinate against mareks, and it is possible to do at home but it can be a bit tricky to do. I have never had a problem with mareks (knock on wood) And have never vaccinated my hatches.
Well from what I’ve read the only one people are really concerned with is Marek’s. But I wasn’t sure. My in laws don’t vaccinate theirs but I knew that the hatcheries didn’t. So should I just not worry about it?

Chicks from hatcheries, I have vaccinated against Marek's disease. Chicks hatched here, I don't vaccinate. They are the 'canaries in the coal mine', and would show signs of illness if Marek's disease arrives here.
If you want to vaccinate them, you have to order the vaccine online and give it very soon after they are out of the hatcher. Then the chicks can't have any exposure to the disease for two or three weeks, to build immunity.
The vaccine comes in 1000 dose vials, with separate diluent. you can carefully split the dry wafer into four pieces, and mix only 250 doses at once, and do your chicks with the fresh mix. Then, if the rest is kept as sterile as possible, the UNMIXED 75% can be stored as directed until it expires.
Once mixed, it's good for about one hour only.
Directions come with the product, of course.
If you still want to do it, great! I just never have here...
Mary

I never vaccinate. It is a personal choice but certainly not essential for health.
I think the Marek's vaccine can only be purchased in quantities for 1,000 doses. It isn't expensive so people just throw away the excess.

Back
Top Bottom