How to vacuum with chicks in the house?

ArtGirlJenn

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Central PA
We have our chick brooder in the dining room (will be moved to the enclosed front porch in a few weeks), but I am at a loss of how to vaccuum my house and not scare the feathers off my baby chicks! NOT vacuuming my floors is not an option.

Any suggestions? Is it better to do during the day? Does it really matter what time of day? Will they just get used to it?

Signed...concerned chicky momma with dirty carpets

They'll get used to it. I've got young quail in a cage on the floor inside at the moment and they might act a bit scared when it's really close but they aren't terrified. They've grown up hearing it (almost) every day. Maybe give your babies a box to hide in - often if they feel like they have the option to flee and hide they are actually more confident.

Chickens can deal with loud noise, just not suddenly intensely loud noise.

If you begin vacuuming in the next room, by the time you get to the room where the chicks are, they will not even notice the noise, even when the machine is right next to their brooder.

I take the shop vac into my coops and run to vacuum up the fine dust from time to time. It's loud. The chickens go about their business even with the vacuum a few feet away, and the old biddies lounging on their feed sack cushions don't even bother to shift their positions or give any indication they're annoyed with the noise let alone show fear.

However, chickens are much more afraid of new and strange objects. The first time I dragged the shop vac into the run, the run emptied out in less than two seconds. I hadn't even turned the thing on yet. Now they're used to seeing the vacuum and there isn't any drama.

Chickens can deal with loud noise, just not suddenly intensely loud noise.

If you begin vacuuming in the next room, by the time you get to the room where the chicks are, they will not even notice the noise, even when the machine is right next to their brooder.

I take the shop vac into my coops and run to vacuum up the fine dust from time to time. It's loud. The chickens go about their business even with the vacuum a few feet away, and the old biddies lounging on their feed sack cushions don't even bother to shift their positions or give any indication they're annoyed with the noise let alone show fear.

However, chickens are much more afraid of new and strange objects. The first time I dragged the shop vac into the run, the run emptied out in less than two seconds. I hadn't even turned the thing on yet. Now they're used to seeing the vacuum and there isn't any drama.

Thank you! That's great advice! I will be sure to start in the far corner of the house and make my way into their area as I go :)

We have our chick brooder in the dining room (will be moved to the enclosed front porch in a few weeks), but I am at a loss of how to vaccuum my house and not scare the feathers off my baby chicks! NOT vacuuming my floors is not an option.

Any suggestions? Is it better to do during the day? Does it really matter what time of day? Will they just get used to it?

Signed...concerned chicky momma with dirty carpets
Not vacuuming floors is not a good idea, therefore, you have to find a solution. I think you need to buy a vacuum cleaner that will make less noise, make different noise, that is not so scary, or will not make noise at all. You can view reviews of vacuum cleaners that are for people who have allergies and other vacuum cleaners if you go to this web-site and maybe you can find reviews of vacuum cleaners that are suitable for your purposes - that is, you can find reviews of vacuum cleaners that are noiseless or make a quiet noise or make some other unusual vacuum cleaners noise.

Back
Top Bottom