How to Vent Sex Coturnix

Hey Monarc23, thanks for all the info.
Nothing wrong with the photos I agree.

This is a great site, I have been into quails for only 3 months now. Have bought two lots of 3wk old chicks. Now its time for an incubator.
Im so excited I found this site.
Could anyone please explain how to sex the browns & tuxedos using feathers.
Is it the ends of the chest feathers are rounder in the males and a bit more pointy in the females? Also dont know how to sex the whites - are these what you call A&M's?. (what does A&M's stand for?)
Ive found the whites moult alot compared to other colours.
Thank you all for sharing.
big_smile.png

Quote:
You can't visually sex the tuxedos, tibetans or A & Ms (or english whites). Its a misconception about the feathering. I've looked ALL my birds over and over again and do not see these supposed rounder and pointier feathers that some websites claim. I really do not believe it.

As for the white ones are you sure they are moulting? My A & Ms have only moulted once this year and it was before breeding season. Are you sure it's not the roos over breeding the hens and ripping feathers off the back and th eback of the head?

To sex colors that cannot be visually sexed you need to wait for them to crow, lay an egg infront of you, or flip t hem over and look for the foam sack on the roos.

Ok got some food dye markers (no red, I know) to mark the A&M's. Hubby suggested I at least buy them some wine before sexing them up.
gig.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
oooo blue A & Ms would be cute! Or pink
lau.gif

I didn't want to zip tie and have to try to cut it off in a few days, so dye it is. Gonna mark boys blue.
big_smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif
oooo blue A & Ms would be cute! Or pink
lau.gif

I didn't want to zip tie and have to try to cut it off in a few days, so dye it is. Gonna mark boys blue.
big_smile.png

awhhh hehe!!! My A & Ms and goldens are lucky I dont have any food coloring at the house...if i did...might entertain myself with some color chicks
lau.gif

This is a very good educating post. I have been looking around for a way to help me know what Im really looking for in venting a chick and this has helped alot. So far, if Im correct, I am only finding 1 male out of my 8.

Back
Top Bottom