How to warm a small coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenluver555, Nov 23, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Tonight is going to be very cold and I need to know how to heat up a chicken coop without using any type of light because it could catch on fire. I only have three chickens, so their house is a small wooden box. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Do they roost? They really shouldn't need heat unless they are very young. The problem with heating a coop is you will have a real problem if you ever loose electricity and thus heat after getting them used to being heated. That said. The easiest way to give some warmth without a heat lamp is to put a brick in the oven, heat until its hot all the way through and then wrap it in a towel or burlap, or something and set it on the floor of the coop. The brick will hold the heat for a while and as it cools the chickens will just move closer to it if they want the warmth.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They don't need heat...they need good ventilation to get rid of the humidity with no drafts on the roost.
    Cold won't kill them, but cold and humidity can cause all kinds of problems.

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    It is 14 degrees here right now. It was colder last night. My chickens are out in the yard pecking around, and they are doing just fine. Forget the heat and concentrate on good ventilation to avoid frostbite.

5. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I sealed up the door of their coop so there isn't a draft. They seemed to have done fine last night. They were so surprised this morning how cold it was outside haha. Thanks for all your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by